Upgrade to Cisco switch...do I need two

Certainly give it a try… I found that worked well with my NDX. My NDX2 doesn’t appear sensitive to such things, so I don’t bother.

BTW I am talking about an Ethernet RJ45 coupler… not a box. You can obtain shielded or non shopielded couplers to suit your application

image https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwi9sqemtoHiAhVBsO0KHT3XDq0YABAIGgJkZw&ae=1&ohost=www.google.co.uk&cid=CAESQOD2EidWSL0LVnnfdGUIXYcaSaiqaXyi-LbdWQokxKV2EBw0hDuo2H91wyV2rZApvvcydJPtBHFvM4eQxu-F7gY&sig=AOD64_1Ylcs1RGCuERnMHKMTR7bdz0H2yA&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwje4qCmtoHiAhXaWxUIHZTrD14Qwg96BAgLEAc&adurl=https://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/cat5e-accessories/9557-cat5e-utp-rj45-through-coupler.html%3Fgclid%3DCjwKCAjw8LTmBRBCEiwAbhh-6Prjclo6JNg-rwVPkoIOHX0VWK5VOr412NJGsFd19W-pv5EvbUkMnBoCsYUQAvD_BwE

‘Phase’ is the wrong word, what is meant is making sure the polarity is right - Live to Live / Neutral to Neutral
In Canada & USA it only applies if you have type A (2-pin) plugs. Type B (3-pin with ground/earth) should (first) be wired correctly & as they are non-reversible in use, the problem doesn’t arise.

Ok thanks Mike, from the picture I saw,it was a three prong plug.

:small_blue_diamond:NO-QUARTER,…Hello and Good morning :smiley:,…Live,.or Phase.

As we say in Sweden…“known children have many names”.
In Sweden,.and all I have had contact with in Scandinavia,we say Phase.
So I use that name,.everyone understands what I mean.

:black_small_square:I added a picture,then it is easy to understand.
In the picture below,.If you look at your contact in the same way as in the picture. Then it is ALWAYS the “right hole” that should be Phase…ALWAYS.

This applies to all devices,so if you haven’t checked this,…Do It.

Also you in England and Canada,USA…It can be mistaken in manufacturing.
All make mistakes,.even cable manufacturers.
It is important for soundquality that the phase is right.

:small_orange_diamond:I also put a picture above on a US-contact,.and you’ll see what Mike-B is talking about.

/Peder🙂

1 Like

:small_blue_diamond:I complement with an image to,.here I hold a phase-gauges at the “right hole”.

The phase-gauges is lit red and sounds if the phase is correct.
There are different types of phase-gauges.
They cost between €10:- to €30:-.

/Peder🙂

Peter, with respect, this is an English language forum, and the word ‘phase’ means clearly something very different in English to what it means in Swedish as per your posts.

@Mike-B is right to call it out… as it potentially, though unlikely, could even be dangerous to use that sort of wrong terminology for mains connectors and cause an accident.

We are talking about the polarisation of the plugs, with respect to Live and Neutral, and NOT it’s phase. Most people in the UK at least have only one phase in their domestic supply. As Cisco state quite clearly you should use their provided mains connectors with their products (where there is a mains connection), and these are usually earthed, therefore the polarisation is moot.

1 Like

The in-laws had three-phase power in the farm shed. I certainly wouldn’t be plugging the NDX2 and SN2 into it!

One last though on my cat cable before I order some
I see some cable is copper coated aluminium…and some is solid copper…is there any advantage in choosing one over the other in say a 25m run?
Thanks

As I understand it, Aluminium is sometimes used for cables because it’s cheap. I’m not even sure if it conforms to Cat5e and other standards.

Go for solid copper for in the house structure installs & multi stand flexible from wall points to equipment. Some of the “boutique” cable brands are silver plated copper, no harm in that other than mad prices.

From what I understand (from online articles) is that copper clad aluminium (CCA) can have higher losses due to the small amounts of copper on the aluminium (aluminium has about 60% conductivity compared to copper) & this might cause some packet loss.

Thanks…I’ll pay the extra for solid copper then …and I already have a chord c stream for coupling…

There’s always something!!
The all copper stuff seems to be exterior heavy duty stuff …and I would like thinner easy to hide stuff internal stuff
Anyone recommend any they have used?

Nearly all regular Ethernet is made of copper. Some are a little stiffer than others, and are intended for use in permanent installations. So-called patch cables are generally more flexible, as they are designed to be used in situations where they are repeatedly moved around, and need to be able to flex without being damaged. I’d be very surprised if you found a regular certified Ethernet cable that was anywhere near as stiff as your C-Stream, which is the NACA5 of network cables.

Ok thanks
The intension was to use a 30m patch cable with one end cut off as the link
This is so I can leave one connection on one end to plug into the Cisco and feed the other cut end though walls to a junction box near the NDS

Currently I have about 8 ferrites on both of my Ethernet cables, at the Core and NDS end.Should I remove them after I install the 2960, or maybe just do a little experimenting?I also have the Core connected to the NDS with a DC1 BNC cable, and switch back and forth from time to time between SPDIF, and UPNP. Will the 2960 benefit both of these inputs, or just UPNP?

normally you will have a better sound with the nds/ core/ cisco on upnp mode. At least it’s my experience , but also a lot of members.

The ferrite chokes are designed to impede common mode circulating very high frequency currents… the Catalyst switch does neccessarily prevent that… so I would experiment. Again the AM radio test is a good measurement tool if you dont want to trust your ears.

Thanks guys, now the waiting…

It is mind-boggling how the human mind works! It is really dead simple and you could come up with such some complicated questions/situations?

Just connect your cisco switch to you router and everything else just connect to you cisco switch, that is just it.

Btw, no exotic cable such as fiber optics, etc. are really needed here, you do not really want to waste your money to cause you so much pain.

Indeed. There’s no harm with a bit of experimenting with some ferrites and some off the shelf generic cables of various Cat flavours. No need to spend silly money on Ethernet cables.