Upgrade?

I’m an very happy owner of a Uniti Atom. a pair of n-sats connected via naca5 and an n-sub. I really enjoy this sistem that perfectly suits to my environment. I listen from Tidal, internet radios and my asset upnp server on qnap.
after this premise, the question may seem stupid but if I wanted to improve this setup, what would you suggest to me?

What are you trying to achieve? More convenience? Better sound quality? Better Headphone listening quality? Deeper bass extention?

Atom + n-sats is a dream combination, very hard to improve on.

1 Like

I do not know what’s my goal. Probably I do not have an area of insadisfaction.
I’m just asking what one in my situation will do to improve this setup.

If I were in your situation, I’d play a bit with a subwoofer to get lower bass.

Alternatively, if headphone listening is important, I would switch the normal atom for an atom he+power amp to keep the convenience, but improve on listening in isolation of the family - if you have eg. young kids around.

The Sats really benefit from powerful amplification and high quality sources, despite their modest size. If you want a significant improvement in sound quality, an NDX2 and Supernait 3 would be ideal, with a Nova as a halfway house.

2 Likes

The OP already has an n-Sub

I have an Atom. My last upgrade was from a medium quality (infinity) speakers to Vienna Acoustic.
Today I am considering that the Atom has limits to handle very demanding music, and that I would like more detail and resolution.
As I do not want to go modular for economic and space reasons, I am considering a nova

N-Sats are very capable speakers which respond well to higher quality sources and amplification. If you want a one-box system the Nova is the obvious choice, or you can move further up the ladder depending on your budget.
N-Sats also benefit from careful setup. If you’re not using them on proper speaker stands, try to find a pair of N-Stands that were designed for them, set them level and use a suitable speaker cable for best performance.

1 Like

Oh dear. You have started something. You will be on your way to an NAC 552 ND555 and NAP 500 in no time! Seriously though, enjoy what you have and listen to a few options to see what they bring for you. Once you start on the separates path, the need for more just keeps on going ….some hard drugs might be less addictive! :grimacing:

2 Likes

You can add eventually a Nap 200 to the Atom. Some had done that. But it will open the gate for further upgrades, as 202/ 282 and Ndx2.
If not, Nova will be better, but how better for the cost involved ? I don’t know.

1 Like

Hi @mb1969, you have a system with which you’re happy and not dissatisfied. It seems to me you have two options. You can start on the upgrading route and keep going until you’ve reached your financial limit and then spend your time hankering after the next step which you can’t quite afford. Or you can stay happy, buy and listen to lots of music. Upgrading isn’t a sure fire route to increased happiness in my experience.

Roger

1 Like

I’m not so sure, N-Sats have a lot more to give than you’ll ever get from them with an Atom. Try sticking them on the end of a 250 and they really come to life.

Then the front end isn’t up to it so the Atom pre needs replacing by a 282/HiCap, but that’s a mullet so an NDX2 is needed and that really needs a PS. Sure, that lot will sound much ‘better’ than the Atom, but will the OP be happier? Perhaps, but I just don’t think that’s guaranteed.

Roger

1 Like

That would be an expensive upgrade, but the point is that N-Sats would not be out of place in such a system. A lot of their potential is wasted with an Atom, so upgrades would reap real sound quality benefits. I’m sure a Nova or NDX2/Supernait would be worthwhile too.

2 Likes

I have not heard Uniti Nova yet but I use Uniti Atom with Vienna Acoustics Speakers like you. Upgrading from the Atom to Nova is a significant investment. Streaming technologies will continue to develop and in a few years there will be new devices. I have made good experiences with tuning measures with the Uniti Atom. Speaker cables have significant differences. I use Tellurium Ultra Black with the Vienna Acoustics Haydn, which I got at a good price. Sounds great, much better than the normal Tellurium Black II. Vovox excelsus speaker cable
is also very fast and strong in bass. For the overall sound balance, the placement of the Atom is important. A big progress has brought me the setup after the approach of @Xanthe here in the forum, also in the bass (10mm glass plate - toughened Glass with Silicon Nitrid Ball Bearings on a Bambus base). This is very inexpensive to do yourself- ca 100 Euro). Decoupling the speakers is also a very good approach. For this purpose, there are many posts forum. For me, the new Solidsteel stands were a big step forward. I’m listening to a Christmas playlist via Qobuz right now - I enjoy very much. Merry Christmas to all.

4 Likes

Could you tell me what bearings you use? alternatives in brands, since in my country there are practically no such components

my atom is simply on the wooden cabinet. Could you refer me to a thread or page about it? Thank you

1 Like

I use a bamboo chopping board and some sorbothane isolation feet, available from Amazon for my Unitiqute Works a treat, tightens up imaging and bass

1 Like

The thread with the basics is “Support for glass” in this forum. I got the glass plate from a local glazier-shop. The ball bearing material is Silikon-Nitrid Si3N4. I have got them from Georg Lutz AG in Switzerland. The brass bases I have got from a lokal plumber shop too.

1 Like

2 Likes