Upgrading a NDX2 before moving on up

My 555PSDR arrives next week to replace the XPSDR so I’ll add to the growing list of observations here.

G

4 Likes

Looking forward to reading about your observations.

Please do, as I skipped this particular problem by simply buying a 555 :star_struck: but in a certain way I’d like to know.

2 Likes

A month in and I decided to switch the 555 PS DR off and power the NDX2 from its own internal supply. Bit of a shock really as I don’t remember it’s sounding so flat and lifeless previously, just shows how quickly you can get used to major improvements. Having said that this was a new one and probably has only just come into its own in regard to providing the quite astonishing jump in sound quality at all levels.

As someone quite new to this game, having only started on the journey just prior to COVID, and out of necessity having read as much as possible from online sources as well as this forum I bought the 555 PS DR as a stepping stone to the next phase and the eventual purchase of the ND 555 or its successor. It’s not an inexpensive purchase and is something I may not have considered if I hadn’t been contemplating the future ultimate upgrade.

I’m glad I did and could easily be happy here without spending an extortionate amount to jump up the ladder again. It’s not difficult to describe, the sound is much more punchy, lively and crisp, it’s now perfectly clear with everything sharper, much more like being with the musicians than listening to their recordings.

I may even have to consider switching back to the bare NDX2 every now and again just to remind me how good this combination really is !

I cannot recommend the NDX2 with the 555 PS DR highly enough, it’s like listening to a different system, a new box, your mates (better) HiFi. If anyone is wondering if it’s worth the upgrade it’s has to be a whole hearted yes from me.

Now when’s that ND556 out…

8 Likes

Yup, that sums up my recent experience too.

G

Naim sources really shine with an external ps. I feel people having the Ndx2 should first try to add an XPS dr at least , and then compare Ndx2/Xps dr vs Ndx2/ external dac as Chord.
A lot have upgraded their Ndx2 with Chord and say how much the Chord dac sounds. But I am not sure they all have tried an XPS dr or 555 dr ( however this later is much more expensive vs a chord Hugo or tt).

All depends on what you will be moving up too and when, if its a nd555 or maybe its replacement, then a 555ps dr would be a good move, if not then maybe your 555ps money and NDX2 money would be much better invested into something else

2 Likes

But £1k less than a DAVE, yes adding a power supply does result in a major improvement, do you really think NDX2 owners move to a Chord DAC with at least trying a XPS dr ?

I am wondering…But think to remember there are some.

I consider an XPSDR never mind a 555 to be grossly overpriced for what they actually are, a TT2 is similar money and at least you can utilise it with any system going forward - if you like the sonic signature of course! I’m sure a 555 sounds great on an NDX2 but do I really want to spend about €7k on a psu for a €5k streamer?

3 Likes

Personally I had the same doubts in the past, but finally I only enjoyed the Naim sources I had with a big added ps. It was the case with a Cd5xs, then Cdx2, and now Nds.
I remember being disappointed by a bare Cdx2. It was sounding forward, a bit bright, was lacking refinement, and the soundstage was a bit closed.
Then, with an XPS 2 at that time, the CDX2 was completely on another league. Not a tweak or cherry on the cake.

1 Like

I think the question is only if you like this 12k streamer, or do you like another 12k streamer more. (If it came in one box, one wouldn’t even know for sure where the money went)

3 Likes

I’m sure it sounds great but I still think it’s grossly overpriced, Naim sort of have you by the nuts which I don’t really like, it should be more accessible - they’d probably sell a lot more psu’s if they were more reasonably priced.

It appears as overpriced. But not if you look at it as something that works as a one piece. If you compare Ndx2/ XPS dr vs Ndx2/ Chord Hugo 2 and find that the later is really much better, than yes, in that case the Naim combo is overpriced.
Naim is also expensive…it’s true.

2 Likes

I mean for what it is - a transformer, a few capacitors and a reg board, €4.5k? Seriously? I dread to think what the profit margin is.

4 Likes

Fallacy. You are paying for Naim to exist and be able to put in the research that results in the Naim sound. The actual parts are a pittance in any mass-produced (more or less) product. You could make the same argument about $1 chips in the Chord.

3 Likes

Can’t comment on that. Look at some Koetsu moving coils : 20 k for some. It shocks me more.

1 Like

There is a review on audiophile style on Dave, upgraded by Sean Jacobs linear ps. The reviewer found that the 1,5 k Sean Jacobs linear ps upgraded massively the Dave. In the Dave case, you pay 10 k for shining buttons and 2 dollars SMPS. :joy::joy:

1 Like

So that’s why an XPSDR costs the same as a Nova more or less?

Yes all the power supplies are massively over priced, but you dont need to buy them, you are not forced to buy them, its naims way and a very good money earner for them as well, so its not going to change any time soon.
Yes they can inpove the sound quality as you go up the range, but its not massive leaps, its not suddenly going to change and become something its not.
As you have already worked out the price of the NDX2 and 555ps dr is a very considerable amount of money, and naim are clever in that you can ease your way in and upgrade over time, that way it looks cheaper, as not many walk into a naim dealer and buy them both at the same time.
But if you sit down and add up the cost, then once again you might find something else that you prefer for that outlay, as many to choose from these days.
As always your money your choice and i know where my money would be going.

2 Likes