Upgrading a NDX2 before moving on up

I’m considering adding a PS555DR to my NDX2 and wondered if any forum members had any experience having already gone down this route. In particular I’d be interested to know of any perceived improvements this upgrade can offer and if all cables would be included with the PS555DR to enable connection out of the box to the NDX2. I’m not sure if it’s appropriate to discuss prices but if so could advise be given on a good new cost anyone may have received from their dealer (no names mentioned please) or indeed second hand.

I have a 555 on my NDX2. As I already had the former when I bought the latter I added it after a few hours listening to the bare player. It’s more natural and engaging with the PS in place, just a lot better generally. With your 500 series amplification, a bare NDX2 is really a bit out of its depth. The addition is not cheap and it’s something you need to try.

Regarding cables, you’d need to buy a S-XPS burndy cable. You should speak to your dealer about new prices - nobody here is going to be willing to share that sort of information in public.

1 Like

Thanks HH, I did wonder if pricing questions were appropriate.

A few existing threads discussing experiences, there are probably others too:

I have a 555DR with NDX2 but did not compare to XPSDR

2 Likes

Don’t forget that if you were to get a 555PS and later move to an ND555, the head unit comes with a pair of burndies, different to the S-XPS. So the S-XPS would be then be surplus to requirements. They are frequently available used for about £250 to £300 and could then be sold on for a similar amount.

2 Likes

This is an interesting one as I cannot comment on the 555DR as I haven’t heard one.
I have however auditioned an XPSDr and it didn’t do anything for me.
I am not going to give names but interestingly I have had a conversation with a very well regarded person at a well regarded dealer very recently about the 555dr.
We had a conversation in general about the whole additional power supplies aspect and his view was that things aren’t the same as the used to be. Bearing in mind the XPS and 555 were developed for the CDS3 era, he spoke wonders of the new platform streamers and made reference to the fact the the NDX2 is so good in its own right that additional power supplies are a more difficult proposition…

Following this conversation I am actually very inclined to audition a SupercapDR for the 282 and potentially leave the NDX2 bare. We shall see.

3 Likes

I put my S-XPS on eBay last week and it sold in a day, £250. There were lots for similar prices at the same time.

2 Likes

I must admit that I put a 555PSDR on as I’d used it in my retired NDS. I’ve not tried the NDX2 without the power supply as I’d heard so much about the partnership of the NDX2 and the 555PSDR. To these ears the new combination is as good if not better than the NDS which as just as well as I can’t afford the NDS replacement!

2 Likes

If the OP is already talking about moving on up, then I’d not bother with the xpsdr.
However, listen to it with the 2 psus yourself.
This forum will tell you that the ndx2 doesn’t need an external psu. It will tell you it needs a psu more expensive than itself.
Go listen yourself. It’s your money. People here have opinions, most are even valid.

5 Likes

The bare NDX 2 is obviously better than a ND5 XS 2, but once you add the XPS DR or 555DR it leaves a ND5 XS 2 for dust. Well that’s my experience anyway.

3 Likes

:joy: :+1:

3 Likes

This is why I love this forum. After a few moments wait a vast amount of information is provided. Thank you.

I don’t doubt your setup sounds amazing with a bare NDX2.

1 Like

Thank you for the links, going through them now :+1:

1 Like

Hi Popeye, it was certainly a big upgrade from the Uniti Star and an uplift in performance on all levels that I’m unlikely to experience again. But as I’m discovering the temptation is to always try to get the best for the system and the PS555DR seems the obvious stepping point before the big jump to a complete 500 setup.

1 Like

Blimey. Dont bother with a 500. Go straight for a full Statement.
It actually makes financial and mental wellbeing sense. You save lots on upgrades and don’t have to stress about how poor your current set up really is.
Plus, you don’t have to come on here and ask the forum for opinions.
Instead just post a few pictures of your Statement rig and gain instant sycophantic friends!

7 Likes

Agree. What i found.
But now, I feel inadequate.
I’ve just found a spare £30k. Off to my dealer for a 555 and a couple of psus!

2 Likes

I would also consider using the NDX2 as a transport into an external DAC, rather than using a PSU to upgrade the analogue circuitry.

I had been using my NDX2 with a 555PSDR for over 2 years. As good as the internal NDX2 DAC is I’ve found it ultimately to be a limiting factor. I’m now using my NDX2 with Powerline into a Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro. Others here also use Chord DACs with great results.

I’m now much happier with the NDX2/Matrix Audio source into 552 and Sugden amp. I sold my 555PSDR and S-XPS burndy and will be using the funds for a turntable and phono stage.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll take that into consideration. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I have to admit I get rather lost at this point!
I’ve been reading comments about Dave coming to call on certain forum members along with his close pal Mr M Scaler and not willing to leave. I think for the time being I’ll stick with our friends from Salisbury, no Naim’s mentioned. :pray:

2 Likes