Upgrading from a 32.5 to a 82, worth it?

I also have had Saras,I would say go for a Nac 82 for now, for the future skip the Nac 52 and Nac 252 ,the 552 is so much better .In my experience 2x Nap 250 active outperform passive 135 on Saras.

1 Like

Ah, maybe it was the Sara’s crossover that held things back so much with a NAP250.
I never tried active 250s + active crossover + crossover power supply vs. passive NAP135s.

I kept my 32.5/Hicap/250, sold the Saras and bought EPOS ES14s instead. Now that was a very happy combination. The 52/135 amplifier came many years later.

Best regards, BF

1 Like

Yes the passive crossovers are nasty.The Saras got even better when I had 4x135 active.I have not tested Saras with passive Nap 500…on Naim DBL a passive Nap 500 outperform active 6x 135´s.

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying.

It must be weird to grow up having a cult loudspeaker named after you. I think that Sara Tiefenbrun worked for the BBC, and then emigrated to Australia to work in publishing.

1 Like

Yes, SARA ,Small Area Roar A lot, I think it was

Nac 82 is a definite upgrade over 32.5. Find the newest possible model that has been serviced. Nac 52 sounds better but needs a Supercap. I never heard a 552 but my 52 will never depart my system.

2 Likes

Check the POTS board, if you can. I think POTS 8 is what you want…

Servicing is (relatively) easy to fix - the POTS board less so.

1 Like

I have had about eight different Nac 82´s and I like the Pots 4 best, the Pots 8 make the sound stiff, I think .

…looks like I am going to be purchasing an 82! Now I just need a streamer……THANKS to everyone for all your replies, very much appreciated, really helpful & insightful comments……wishing everyone a fab week ahead! Rich

1 Like

I would be very surprised if you regret this - assuming the one you are buying is fully working.

If it has not been serviced, with the last 8 to 10 years, I strongly recommend that you address this.

Enjoy…!

1 Like

Yes I will check the service history……I had all my existing kit serviced back in 2019 with Class A who were excellent……one of the many benefits of Naim is their sustained longevity by servicing….a rare option in this consumable centric world we live in.

Class A have done all my servicing, for quite some time now… :grin:

1 Like

Modern daughter boards (including 729s) in a 32.5 make it into a giant killer. You need nothing less than a 52/SC after that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.