Upgrading from a Supernait 2

I currently have a Supernait 2 integrated amp, partially powered by a HiCap. My sources are Naim CDX2 and an Innuos Zen Mk3 server with a Chord DAVE DAC. Speakers are B&W - currently CM10 S2, but thinking of upgrading to 804 D3.

I am thinking about upgrading the SN2. I don’t think I’ll bother with an SN3, as the improvement over the SN2 seems quite small from all that I have read - and I don’t need a phono stage.

I was thinking of going to a NAC282 pre-amp with a NAP250DR power amp. Do people think that is the best upgrade path?

Also, I am a little confused about power supplies. The NAC282 seems to come with a NAPSC power supply. What would I do with the HiCap? Should I use it with the NAC282 or with the NAP250DR? What are the power supply upgrade options?

Advice please - thanks guys!

The 282 can be powered by a single hicap (plus napsc). Or 2 hicaps. Or one supercap. Hicap is minimum. The 250 runs without psu.

More info here, saves me typing again.

The Chord Dave is a DAC and also a pre.
You wouldn’t require a preamp and so could take the Dave directly to a 250. If you wanted the 282 it requires either a Hicap (or 2) or a Supercap, but one Hicap as a minimum. The NAPSC comes as standard and is used, I think, to power the display.

I suspect that would invariably be the next logical step. :+1:t3: ATB Peter

As others have said, the 282/250DR is the logical upgrade, with your Hicap powering the 282. If your CDX2 has a digital out, you are presumably using it via the Dave, in which case you wouldn’t necessarily need a preamp. Some prefer the Dave into a Naim preamp whereas others don’t. It’s well worth reading and understanding the product manuals so you know exactly what does what, and to help you make sure you get exactly what you need.

I’m currently in the process of upgrading from a SN2/Hicap to a 282/250DR/Hicap. I went down the 250DR route first purely because I was able to secure a really nice recent model at a good price. I’ve been blown away by the improvement the 250 has brought to my system. My search for the right 282 for me continues, but whichever route you take, I’m sure you’ll be delighted with the results.

Thank you Andy :+1:t3::wink: Good luck with your search ATB Peter

I run the Dave into a Chord Etude amp, no preamp, a few others on here do the same. Sounds great. Also have the Innuos Zen.

1 Like

Out of curiosity I checked, and it appears @PeterR has a Statement…! So I’d echo @AndyL68 comments! Kind regards to both (and very jealous, Peter!).

1 Like

I was going to suggest the same thing. Loving the Etude with the TT2/Mscaler. Certainly worth a demo!

2 Likes

282/250 is a wonderful upgrade over the Supernait2. I did this change 6 months ago. I can’t comment on the pre of the Dave and how it compares with the 282 however.

Good luck and happy listening. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

+1

=2.128

1 Like

Hahahahh… :+1::fire::fire::fire:

If we’re doing math I think that’s actually 1.128 :wink:

1 Like

Plus (my )one
( is sensible and included me)

1 Like

When I bought my Dave I already had a 282/250DR. Out of curiosity, I tried removing the preamp and ran Dave/250 direct. I couldn’t honectly say that it sounded better or worse, just a little different. I hated the clutter and messy cables that come with a 3-box preamp, so it had to go.
My dealer sugested that I might try a Supernait when I raised the heretical subject of running a Naim power amp without a matching preamp, so I did, but that was a clear step down to my ears. So I’m still happily using Dave/250.
Next on my do-do list is to try an Étude instead of the 250, as it should be a good match with Dave, but I have a date with a new pair of speakers first, so I’ve put that on hold for about 6 monthes and counting…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.