Upgrading Supernait 3

Greetings, Naim Community.
I’m new here and new to the Naim brand. I recently bought the Supernait 3 and was thinking of upgrading it with the HiCap DR power supply and was wondering your thoughts. I have Harbeth C7ES-3 XD speakers, a Feickert Volare TT and Yamaha CD / SACD player… Is the upgrade worth it? I know it’s a fairly subjective question but would love to hear.
Thanks,
TM

1 Like

Could this help, lots of options/recommendations using the Search Function above. :+1:t3: Also welcome to this mad old place. ATB Peter

1 Like

I think that if you feel the itch to upgrade, your best bet would be to try one in your system. You can get one on loan or buy a used one (and resell it without loosing money)

The general consensus in this forum is that the Supernait 3 does not benefit as much from the HiCapDR as the Supernait 2.

1 Like

i added a Hicap DR to mine and its a clear improvement - not as big as adding to supernait 2 but worthwhile in terms of clarity and flow.

6 Likes

I would also add that if you just got the Supernait 3 and it is not fully run in, it is best to wait a bit before thinking about any upgrades.

3 Likes

Yup i concur here with HiFi-dog, provided your source is up to snuff of course. I’ve tried both with and without, and with is better, in every way.

5 Likes

Thank you for the feedback, Hifi Dog. Really appreciate it.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, another upvote for @Hifi-dog, I run exactly the same, SN3 with HCDR, @conlegno is also bang on right, I’ve had two SN3’s (first one had slight issue that dealer sorted out with replacement) some months down the line and sound really matures and gels over a period of time, with or without HC. My HCDR was kept over from upgrade from XS2 and was preloved then, but still noticed big difference of the sound of the SN3 as it ran in over 3 months I’d say.

4 Likes

…welcome to the forum tmarshall27!

When I first arrived to the forum I found the use of the search feature a great source for information. If you type in " SN 3 with HICap DR" you will find 50+ results.

…I added a HiCap DR to my SN 2 awhile back and it was a worthwhile upgrade. Today the HiCap DR powers my NAC 282 PreAmp.

2 Likes

thanks for the helpful tips Seakayker! this forum is great.

For my ears, the HC DR was a big improvement regarding clarity, soundstage and directness. The biggest improvement is to hear in the phono section. But just trust your ears and find out. :wink:

3 Likes

Upgrade order:

1. Dedicated circuit for hifi
  2. Powerline
  3. Interconnect
  4. Hicap
  5. 282
  6. 250
  7. Fraim
  8. Supercap
  9. 252
  10. 300
  11. Speaker wire
  12. 552
  13. 500

Also your source needs to improve.

5 Likes

Hands down that response should be in the forum rules or FAQ.:grin: That seems to capture it all, and a good source is key…….As you have stated.

Scott

1 Like

Hi, did you try any other Harbeth speaker prior to settling with the Harbeth C7ES3 XD? With Harbeth speakers, good choice to go with Naim if you appreciate a punchy, dynamic and live sound. It’s useful that you chose the Supernait 3 as the Harbeth (SHL5 in my case) sounds dull and underwhelming with a Nait XS, in my experience.

Find a less $$ driven dealer. A HiCapDR in the US is still a $2500. Upgrade. If I were you I’d keep my eyes open for a used one on the usual sites…

It’s not clear which Yamaha player you have but that might be the place to look for upgrades, I’d playing CDs is a major part of your listening. It may also be worth making sure you have good mains, ideally dedicated, and a good system support. The SN3 works really well without a Hicap; I can’t say I’ve tried one on mine but have no desire too. Real improvements are far more likely to be achieved through source improvements and careful system setup.

a used non DR supercap2 will be much better than the hiCapDR
in fact, it’s not close but does cost a bit more

Perhaps, but putting a Supercap on a Supernait puts you well into separates price territory. Not far short of 282/Hicap/250, in fact.

4 Likes

Supernait 3 £3,499
Supercap DR £4,849

The power supply is costlier than the amp.

2 Likes

I had also asked about the Yamaha player but removed my post, getting tired looking at it unanswered.

The only Yamaha CD player I have heard was in a Hi Fi show and actually it sounded very good, the presentation reminded me of a Marantz sound.