UPnP and Wi-fi Issues

There can issues with certain netgear Orbi firmware releases. I am on an old version of the firmware as newer ones cause issues in internet connection for me. May be worth searching Orbi forum and see which is the recommended stable firmware release and try installing that version?

I have three access points all with same said, each on different non overlapping channels, each has a wired backhaul to the main switch, so yes it’s mesh but not how BT, Orbi stuff is sold as.

Its the cooperation of the access points I need in my house, the ability to move between APs based on best signal strength as I and my devices move through the building. If I look into networking products in future, its that capability that is most important, whether marketed as ‘mesh’ or not. Whatever is in the walls of my house, its certainly not conducive to wifi signal propagation!

If you have APs of the same make (preferably) and ensure the SSID info is the same across all access points, then you should be able to roam seamlessly. Ubiquiti, BT whole Home for example enable this consistently. If you connect the APs together via Ethernet or wirelessly, some support load balancing and band steering (cooperation) … I know Ubuiquiti devices support these.

Underneath the covers the protocols that are needed to support the fast transitioning / secure roaming are 802.11r and 802.11v which allow devices to quickly roam across an ESSID. I expect most modern consumer products support these. These protocols are not new and are mature.
Your client needs to support these protocols as well as 802.11k, most modern portable devices will support these. (This allows the client to search stronger signals whilst connected)

Thanks @Simon-in-Suffolk, and all those who have contributed, this has been a really illuminating discussion.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.