US now converting to FLAC, done in 25 days!

Just started to transcode my 2500 albums / 30300 tracks from WAV to FLAC. Using the DTC monitor, I can follow the progress: 50 tracks per hour. My calculation : Total 600 hours or 25 days !
Is this as expected, or am I missing something ???

For reference, on my 5 year old laptop using dBPoweramp Music Converter, it takes usually around 1 minute to convert an entire standard CD rip (12 ish files) from wav to flac, often much quicker and sometimes up to 2 mins. Your method does seem very slow, I’m not sure of the processor in the US, it must be slower by far than my laptop and likely has less RAM too which combine to be the probable culprit.

convert

I’m afraid I cannot answer your question, but it is something I’ve been thinking about doing with my NS01 to create more disc space. A further problem for the NS01 will be how to deal with the second hard disc. If it takes so long, are you still able to use the US while it’s doing the conversion?

I did the conversion of approx 1800 CDs using my HDX, and it took 7/8 days to complete.

Dave, were you able to use the HDX as a server during that period?

Does the HDX have a second, back-up disc, like the NS01? If so, how did you bring that to the same standard ( i.e. FLAC)?

That’s similar to my experience of dbPoweramp, I reckon on about 15 secs to convert a standard CD once ripped from one format to another so 2500 albums at about 15 secs each means about 10-11 hours

Yes, can still use the US

1 Like

I didn’t investigate whether the HDX was available as a server, since I was still able to enjoy music from my Synology NAS … I felt it was probably safer not to ask my elderly HDX to multitask.

1 Like

From memory my US took approx. 10 days to convert 3,500 albums to FLAC. Well worth it for the space freed up and peace of mind re metadata. Unable to detect one iota of difference when streaming (set to transcode to WAV on the fly). Had no problem streaming from the US during the process.

Yes that is typical times for dBpoweramp conversion of ‘normal’ WAV files.
The OP’s UnitiServe files are not the MS/IBM standard format WAV, they are the unique Naim formatted WAV.

The Unitiserve was designed with quite a low spec even by the standards of the day, and that was well over 10 years ago. This was very much a design choice to keep electrical noise as low as possible, but it does mean that it plods along rather slowly when given tasks like this. It’ll get there in the end.
If you’re concerned about it grinding to a halt, for example if you have a power failure, it might be better to do groups of albums at a time, perhaps by selecting a genre or a few artists at a time.

1 Like

I gradually ripped my cd collection to FLAC over a couple of weeks using Exact Audio Copy EAC.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.