USB stick into Naim streamer VS uPnp streamer

I’ll certainly report back about the Jitterbug if all goes well.

I have exactly the same experience with Nds. From connected to a router, then dedicated switch, then Cisco, ER, ER / linear ps, and Melco N1z2.
The usb stick was sounding very good, but now, with a Melco and ER, it’s better clearly.

My guess is that maybe you inadvertently tried to open or play an album that had not yet been indexed by the server, or perhaps some other interruption to the process, and the NDX2 threw a hissy fit as a result.
Hopefully once the indexing is complete it will behave itself. The process only needs to be repeated if you disconnect the drive or put the it in deep sleep mode, switching to other inputs shouldn’t make any difference.

Well, the NDX2 stopped indexing the albums from the USB stick again. This time I got up to 585 albums out of over 600. I didn’t get an error message this time, it just stopped.

So, I am missing some albums and some album art. I am losing patience with this solution…

I did some listening tests anyway. Compared to my Mac Mini used as a upnp server (the Mac Mini uses a Shunyata Delta NR power cable and 2 AQ Jitterbugs), the sound was exactly the same.

I then plugged in an AQ Jitterbug between the USB stick and the NDX2. Maybe a 5% improvement, but I am not sure I could pass a blind test.

I will probably just change the hard drive in my Mac Mini. If I feel like spending, I might get the Uniti Core. Although, based on my tests, I do not believe the Core will sound better than my Mac Mini or a regular NAS.

I am using Shunyata ethernet cables in my system as well as an EtherRegen switch. All of those things made improvements. Maybe it is a good sign the Mac Mini sounds as good as the USB stick?

how long does your ndx2 take to index the albums. I opened another thread today that my nova needs over an hour for 350 albums

An hour for 350 albums sounds right.

Still seems very slow to me.

Not sure if this is related to your earlier issue, but note that in Settings → Other Settings there is an option to Rebuild Music Database … perhaps because it takes time, but (more likely given what you saw) perhaps because it is persistent and prone to not being in sync with the actual USB data (or lack there of)?

Could be worth playing to see if that also resets things.

Regards alan

1 Like

I tried it. It erased the previous indexation! So that is good. But the NDX2 can no longer read the uSB stick in server mode. Seriously, this should work.

Ok, after much fiddling around, the NDX2 sees the USB stick in server mode. Again, it is taking forever for it to index the albums. Will it work this time?! IS it possible that the USB stick is not properly formatted?

I am computer savvy, but I have no idea why something so simple is not working.

In server mode, the upnp from my Mac Mini works perfectly.

May be worth doing a first aid check in disk utilities

1 Like

Again I tried. Now it jams at 569 albums! There must be a limit Naim has not told us about @Richard.Dane @Naim.Marketing

Maybe a firmware change could increase the limit?

I am sure there is a maximum that Naim streamers can index through the uSB port in server mode.

There is no limit that’s going to stop your streamer indexing a few hundred albums. It supports libraries of up to 100,000 tracks, so I really think you are barking up the wrong tree here.
The first thing I would do is have a look at some of the files and see what might be causing it. For example, if some of the artwork has a very large file size it may not display, or if it’s in a folder with an odd name it can cause problems. Perhaps have a look at some of the files that don’t work properly and see if they are all in the same format so that you can narrow it down.

Thank you for your help. But i disagree.

What I’m saying is that the Naim streamers support USB libraries larger than yours, so either there is a problem with your files, your storage device, or your streamer, that is causing this issue. For example, I have a USB drive with over 600 albums in FLAC, which workd perfectly well on my Atom and NDX2. It doesn’t take anything like an hour to scan when first mounted.

1 Like

Are you using the USB socket on the front of the machine, or the rear of the machine? Just wondering if there’s a difference in socket capabilities.

Other option is a SSD rather than usb stick.

I’ve 1000 CDs on a Samsung T5 ssd and all indexes fine with artwork. Easily takes 2 to 3 hours to re-index if adding new CDs - so tend only to add in batches.

Less convenient if plugged into the back, but with a cable connected SSD, you can buy a spare cable and just unplug the SSD from the cable, rather than have to keep rummaging round the back of the machine

IIRC there’s a 10,000 track limit on using the internal server via USB - possibly less of an actual limit, but more what has been reliably tested. There’s also a 500 song playlist limit.

Hi Richard, the only limit I’m aware of is the 100,000 track limit Naim quote for the USB input. There is no mention of the built in server being more limited in the documentation available on the Support page, but that is notoriously patchy in its coverage.
Either way, mine certainly has no trouble with around 600 albums, which is likely fewer than 10,000 tracks.
The 500 track limit applies to saved playlists and the play queue, so I can’t see that being relevant here, especially as it’s a hard and fast limit of exactly 500.

Concerning what @Richard.Dane says about 10,000 track limit. In my case I have over 11,000 tracks and >800 albums on my USB stick in my ND5 XS2. I always assumed they were all indexed, so presumably some are missing. Does anyone know how to get the app to report on Album/track numbers?

Also 10000 is a strange limit to have when you are working on a digital platform. Perhaps in reality it’s more like 10240?