Use (and Useability Issues) of the Naim app (IOS and Android)

Two more things:

• Should have the Rovi stuff in Android as well, not just iOs
  • On Android there is an issue where it shows Qobuz albums duplicated, but Naim is aware and apparently working on it, I was told by support
1 Like

You need to sort your network out, because that is for sure what is causing your problem.

I don’t know about Android but the IOS app is always highly responsive on iPhone and iPad for me.

Best

David

2 Likes

No it is not for sure. There is absolutely no problem in my network

1 Like

Good. Can you tell models and Android version? Thanks

My main problem at this time, is that my list of album favourites in the Naim app, does NOT contain ALL of my Qobuz albums !

I moved some album favourites (manually) to the track favourites, and 'additinal" albums appeared in the album favourites list, but not all. So there seems to be some limit to the number of entries in the list of album favorites. The missing albums are those first selected into my Qobuz album list.

As the Qobuz album list can only be displayed in the reverse order the album were added, it is a tedious process to get to those albums. To add insult to injury: if you click on the “wrong” album, and go back to the list of Qobuz albums, that is again at top of list… You need to scroll through the (long!) list again. If, like me, you have multiple albums of the same performer added sequentially, it can literally take minutes to find the track you want if you’re not sure on which album it resides.

And yes, you can filter the list of Qobuz albums for the performer. But that selection process takes as long as scrolling through the list. It can take up to a minute on my tablet. And when you return from looking at the track list of an album, the selection needs to run again.

To conclude, I cannot use favourites to access my oldest Qobuz records, and the acces via Qobuz on the Naim app is not practical.

Search in Qobuz app first. Then play in the Naim app? Not very appealing either!

That is what everyone says, until the day they discover what the issue was.

3 Likes

Huawei P20 Pro - Android 10
Huawei P30 Pro - Android 10
Google Pixel C tablet- Android 8
Huawei Meidapad M5 tablet - Android 9

Heck, I even installed it recently on an Amazon Fire TV Stick 4k for giggles and that worked fine too

You can sort by date added with oldest first and newest first. Go to Albums > More > sort menu top right > Date added. Do it again and it reverses. Note the direction of the arrow

Jesus. I have been working in computing for 25 years. There is a modern Fritz.box router > Cat6a > 8switch > NDX2. The unsrepsonsive mobile has 5 GHz with 800 Mbits. The internet connection is 250 Mbit/s. I am the only person in my household and there is a very small number of devices, only one of which is typically in active use at any one time. There is no MAC filtering, firewalling, etc.
And if you read the facts I posted (which is a prerequisite to understanding computer problems) the other mobile has no issue. Network my ***)

No other device ever has any problem in my network and this is because there are none. Naim support did a network scan and found no problem.

You know, Naim is great and all, but it’s not always the fault of the whole world rather than Naim gear

Edit: And IF there was a “problem” for the app, then Naim needs to learn to work in bog-standard consumer home networks because this is what people have

2 Likes

does that not sort of suggest that the Samsung tablet is the problem?

1 Like

I think you are talking about Android devices? My comments, which you could go back and read if you wanted to, were about IOS devices running the Naim app and weren’t addressed to you.

But since you raise the point, I quite often see people reporting discovery problems with Fritzbox-based networks. So I reckon that’s your problem too.

On a positive note a Lenovo Tab 10 works fine is is quick to load and respond.

This is with a Virgin Media router.

That is the standard answer from Naim. As i have No other apps or appliences that suffer the same problem, i consider that to be BS.

Fine, whatever.

1 Like

Like I wrote above. It may be the case that the app and this model or just my device have a problem. But then as already posted in this thread there are others with the same problem, like the OP. In other threads where I posted about it, other people said the same in the past.

This particular Samsung has no problem with any other app, such as Roon or Bluesound, which does more or less exactly the same thing as the Naim app.

If is was just my particular device - so be it. But I doubt it. And if it is this Samsung model as such, then it is a problem because this one is one of maybe 3 or so current 10" tablet models with Android 10 that even exist

1 Like

Ok so there is a REST API that allows you to connect to the streamer from any app and control the device. This means that with some effort it would be fairly straightforward to create a separate app and/or interface to improve where the default app is lacking.

I have thought it before to start on this, but it would require quite a bit of time to recreate all the functionality that is available in the stock app, so i’ve refrained from it so far. But it’s there as an option to consider.

1 Like

Yes I did write about Android, but you replied to me with this sentence:

(link: Use (and Useability Issues) of the Naim app (IOS and Android))

I also have a Samsung tablet with Android 10 and i don’t experience the slowdowns, i am not using Qobuz though so the situation is not completely similar.

Aha. Well if this exists then Naim should fix it, frankly. Yes, even if the Fritzbox has an issue (which I doubt very much) as nobody else seems to have a problem with it.

Anyways, before I had the Fritzbox I had the default router that comes with the Vodafone contract. App had exactly the same problem. I switched to the Fritzbox as one of many attempts to work around the issue.

But I have the solution anyway, I just don’t use the Naim app but Roon, which surprisingly works just like everything else does in my problem-riddled network

Thanks, which model if I may? Mine is the Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019), model SM-T510