Use (and Useability Issues) of the Naim app (IOS and Android)

UnitiQute (1) 192 version / Mu-So Qb (1) / Android 10 [oneplus 7 plus]

1 Like

The fact that two people, both using an iPhone, both using an NDX2 (or whatever) so both using exactly the same hardware running get same IOS and same firmware on the hardware, have different experiences can only be down to one thing: network.
They maybe even use the same kind of network - for example a BT Homehub.
BUT, there is clearly something in the implementation that differs, be it interference from a neighbour, a Microwave oven, proximity of a cordless phone of fluorescent lamp but, SOMETHING is causing an issue.
I have two totally seperate systems in seperate homes, both have different networks, one using a ISP router modem, one using a pro-grade Ruckus system.
Both of my NDX2 work perfectly and the app rarely, if ever needs re-booting or anything.
Although clearly some folk do have issues with ā€œlooking for roomsā€ or whatever, I cannot believe it is all down to their hardware or, the app.
As I say, if the app or streamer is broken, why does my app always work?
The only difference I can possibly see is the network. (or music server on a NAS)
If anyone is having problems, bring their kit to my place and try it on my network. If it works, youā€™ll know the answerā€¦
I should add, I donā€™t use Android devices.

1 Like

Thatā€™s not necessarily true, it can be due to anything in the code of the app as well. Specific settings enabled/disabled, being logged in to certain services, multiroom environments, USB being used or not etc.

It would be the wrong approach to state that even if the network plays a role, itā€™s therefore the userā€™s fault and the network should be changed. It could very well be poor code in the app that is unable to properly work with certain network setups. Most network devices are a lot more standard and prevalent than Naim gear, so it would be reasonable to say that Naim needs to adapt to the norm, and not the other way around.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, many of the people who do experience connection problems with the Naim app (i personally donā€™t), have for instance no issues with comparable apps from other vendors like Bluesound, NAD etc.

4 Likes

To all, the app team are aware of this thread and at least one possible unresponsiveness cause on Android is already being addressed :+1: My thanks to everyone who already posted their device details and test results, please carry on :slight_smile:

Nice work SuedKiez.

I wonder if they are able to tell us what that curious ā€˜shareā€™ button is supposed to do for playlists?

Just doing what I can, thanks to the software staff who are very responsive :+1:
Maybe better for someone with iOS to ask as the Share button is not there in Android. There are more iOS people in the beta group anyways. Iā€™ sure you understand Iā€™d like to stick to Android stuff.

If someone from Naim is watching, this is the button in question:

No probsā€¦but the thread is IOS too.

The thread is of course, I just meant I wouldnā€™t like to ask in the beta thread regarding an issue for which I cannot answer any questions as I donā€™t have it.

1 Like

I had problems with iPad and Android applications until I installed MinimServer on my NAS.
Now both work just fine and I have no issues.
However I only use locally stored music and Internet radio. I do not use subscription services like Tidal

1 Like

It has been brought to the attention of the developers. I found an apparently non-functional option in the Android app, so this was a reasonable opportunity to mention the Share button on iOS too

1 Like

@LJS, how many Qobuz favorites do you have? I have approx 2,500 albums and at least part of the unresponsiveness I am experiencing has been traced to this rather high number. Would this explain yours too?

As somebody who uses Android devices and have previously posted that I have no problems with responsiveness with any of them when using the Naim app perhaps I should qualify that by saying that although I use Qobuz I have a grand total of zero albums in favourites and zero custom playlists. I use Qobuz to listen to albums and use search to find what I want to play

1 Like

There is now a separate thread for feature requests, so would probably help keeping things tidy by posting issues here and the requests over there:

1 Like

:+1: So I think we are getting somewhere

1 Like

I have about 2750 Qobuz albums. So that may be part of the issue.

By the way: I have noticed that not all my Qobuz albums make it into Naim favourites, only about a 1000 of the ā€œyoungestā€ do. And if I remove one of those from Qobuz, one more ā€œolderā€ Qobuz album is included in my Naim favourites.

1 Like

Ok I said the app was better at connecting during certain betas. Well I just remembered at that point I had most inputs turned off including all streaming services. As I have had to reset the unit many times during beta testing I had not put it back to as it was. So I just systematically turned them off and then back on. Without Qobuz it connects instantly, with it enabled slow to connect. I have over 2k of albums So there we have it, it had to do with Qobuz connection perhaps the authorisation is needed each time app opens and this is just slow to perform.

1 Like

I agree showing both versions without being able to distinguish is annoying. Ideally just show one, or at least mark them somehow. Think itā€™s worth filing a bug report for, have you done so already?

Iā€™ve suggested before they just open up / document their APIā€™s, but not much enthusiasm.

I guess for them it means that they would have to clean them up, and make sure they remain stable, which is now not required as they fully control both ends.

2 Likes

Yes i think itā€™s a political decision, and i think itā€™s too bad because involving the community in the app ecosphere can really help to increase enthousiasm for the product.

BluOS (Bluesound, NAD, Dali) does offer API documentation: https://bluos.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Custom-Integration-API-v1.0_Dec_2020.pdf

1 Like

Itā€™s a bit of an old fashioned way of looking at things, hopefully in the future theyā€™ll come around. (I think theyā€™ll need to)

1 Like