Use (and Useability Issues) of the Naim app (IOS and Android)

As you know, I reported it in the beta group. It has not yet been resolved in the first beta that is now available for app, but I understand it is on the list or being worked on. So maybe in the next app update, but it is early in the beta cycle right now.

Iā€™m quite new to Naim, having got a Uniti Atom a few months ago. Iā€™m blown away with how good the Atom is in every way except for the Naim app. Mostly streaming Qobuz when Iā€™m not listening to vinyl. On the Naim app everything happens very slowly and a variety of peculiar things happen randomly. Itā€™s possible that my old android phone is contributing to the problem too. Iā€™m not very technical and expect things to just work, which at this level seems a reasonable expectation. Iā€™m still a happy Naim customer but the app lets the side down a bit.

2 Likes

How many Qobuz favorites do you have?

An old Android phone is likely to be a security threat, so best replaced. The Naim App seems to be more reliable on an iPhone or iPad, so maybe worth considering if upgrading.

The appā€™s not bad. Just using Qobuz as I do on an NDX2, I donā€™t really need it; or wouldnā€™t if their app chrome cast which it currently doesnā€™t. It would be good if Naim announced that they were going to steadily improve it eg it should list recently played.
Hifi bods are incessant upgraders, and Naim will happily sell you a lead for many Ā£100ā€™s to replace one youā€™ve just bought. Hate to say it but they could produce a premium app for those with multiple sources at an extra cost with the features filtering down over time to the free version .
If folk will pay Ā£1,000ā€™s for a glorified plug, or Ā£300 for a set of speaker feet (and then realise the beautifully oxed set only does one speaker) to stop spikes wrecking their wooden floors, is it realistic to expect a perfect and free app.
But it would be good if Naim was open and honest about its aspirations, priorities and capabilities so far as the app goes.

If you interested in optimal sound quality, perhaps you do need it: that is only achieved when controlling you NDX2 from the NAIM app. For some of us I should add: or use Roon - but my ears beg to differ with that opinion.

Just curious: how do you control Qobuz to NDX2, if you do not use the app?

Qobuz is designed to chrome cast but that seems to have stopped working

Sorry if this has already been askedā€¦I updated my Android app to 2.20.0 and it no longer displays cover artwork in my UPnP library, just a musical note graphic.
Is there something silly I did wrong, anything in settings?
Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.