Used NAC 552

Hope it works out for you, mine has as many ups as downs and I cannot just put an LP or CD on and get spectacular results anymore like I could with my 282 / Supercap combination. Mine has been running for 5 months or so and I’d prefer the old systems air and space compared to the extra detail the 552 brings…

Check the Burndy is not too stressed here or too “tight” as this affects the sense of "bloom’, spaciousness and ease to the sound of the NAC552. When all is right, a NAC552 should be ahead of a NAC282 on every level.

1 Like

That doesn’t sound right. A new 552 DR replaced a 252/SC2 here and it was better from the off. Not looked back since.

Sorry to hear that. It has not been my experience at all. The 552 has been better from the off to the 82 and the 252 that preceded it. Is it worth disconnecting and then going through the connection process with loosening Burndys again?

Thank you Richard, I think your advice perfectly illustrates some of the challenges of Naim equipment at the higher end. The requirement for cable dressing and connector tightness seems to be a pure ethereal, enigmatic ‘science’ all of its own. I had hoped to comprehensively better the 282 with the 552 but instead, I have knocked the system balance right out of ‘tune’. There is spectacular timing and fidelity of sound at low volume, but as you turn up, the extra detail and forwardness of the upper midband is simply not pleasant and I find I need to quickly move the volume back down again. Smooth it isn’t.

My particular set-up is fitted into a corner cupboard location in a vertical stack. Whilst many would say this is contributes significantly to the average sonic results, especially with the difficulty of cable dressing, I have gone to great lengths to try to support the 552’s job. I have just completed a run of 3x 6mm radials off their own dedicated consumer unit into unstitched MK sockets and even fitted an earth rod just for the HiFi. With the possibility of un-shielded interference to the Burndy, I have even spent a truly eye-watering amount on a competitors Burndy (Fully appreciate the forum rules and mention only made as it directly relates to my system dilemma…) but the sound still has none of the light airiness of the 282. Very very HiFi yes, but no danger of enhanced musicality - the very adjective the 552 is touted to bring above it’s lesser brethren. Others listening to my system may disagree and find this is exactly how it should sound; it just goes to show how very valuable the forum legends (most definitely HH here) are when they recommend stepping off the upgrade ladder when you have found a sound that you like…

1 Like

Thanks Bruss, I’m willing to give anything a go and also hoping that time and use will settle things down as time goes by. It is also entirely possible that there is a degree of rose tinted spectacles for the past - the 282 certainly wasn’t perfect at everything, I think it just ‘gelled’ into the system as it was and made pretty much everything sound terrific.

If I may, a track we can all probably relate to that I would pick out to explain the 'deficiencies of the 552 over the 282 Supercap combo - Frankie Goes to Hollywood ‘Pleasure Dome’ on vinyl. Here, the 282’s slight forward signature sound partnered with truly exceptional sound staging to set the drums and separate parts of the track across a vast, deep soundstage in front of you. The volume couldn’t go too high and it was pretty much the most exhilarating experience I have had in all my HiFi days. The 552 lost the space and depth of the presentation and introduced a harshness that send you reaching for the volume down button. If this boils down to shortcomings in the connecting cables with the 552, then that’s a real shame and something that really should not be an issue at this price point as far as I am concerned. It’s a work in progress, and hopefully I’ll get there in the end!:+1:

Strange. My new to me 552 is just out of service yet the sound is detailed and velvet smooth at the same time. No harshness at all. Something isn’t right imo

I understand the unbalance that can be introduced. I have recently introduced the Aries streamer which is in all regards a better streamer than the Node it replaces. My wife loves the new sound, slightly brighter than the node. I find it increasingly not quite right. Too bright perhaps, too toppy? I can’t put my finger on it. It doesn’t sound bad, just not what I’m used to.

I honestly don’t think it shows anything of the sort. A 552 that sounds worse than a 282 is simply a broken or incorrectly set up 552. Yes, there are the quirky setup requirements of Naim gear to contend with, and if you can’t or won’t embrace these, perhaps Naim is not the brand for you, but something is amiss with your system.
I’m guessing that you didn’t buy the 552 from a Naim dealer and get him to set it up for you?

2 Likes

Does the Burndy touch anything or hang free?

E.g. the wall, other cables, the shelf, etc?

I am a Naim devotee for over 17 years and have plenty of experience and love for the Salisbury sound. The 552 has the finest pace and timing and detail I have ever heard, but this does not necessarily ensure it comes together to a musical whole that delivers the emotional experience we all seek. The 552 came from a Platinum (Statement) retailer in Guildford as their ex-demonstrator of 12 months age. Broken? Only if you consider the lack of sound from the right channel at low volume a fault; Naim service replaced the volume pot for this but there is still the (usual) imbalance and having spoken to a very helpful technician at Naim, I understand and accept this ‘quirk’ of the asymmetric pot channel tracks at the lower end of the travel. Otherwise it is in perfect health…

Yes, the Burndy touches the wall at numerous points despite intelligent and careful dressing. This is however, a very hard pill to swallow given that a £25K pre-amplifier can sound more closed-in than a 282 at less than a quarter of the price just because of the way the PSU and amplifier are connected together. If such set-up is mandatory (three shelves, brain and brawn for a ‘6-box’ system), then maybe retailers should clarify this environmental pre-requisite before retail to avoid disappointment where a lesser amp not using burndies can outperform a 552?

3 Likes

I’d agree with this. Mine was about 2 months from new and wasn’t to my ears that much better than the 252 it replaced, but is now back at HQ having the low volume balance issue resolved. The well-used Grade A refurb that the dealer kindly supplied to keep me going was head & shoulders better as soon as it went on the rack, which suggests that my new one has a lot more to give but is also going to be a bit of a disappointment when it returns and replaces the current stand-in.

Anecdotally the 552 needs up to 6 months to come on song. Fingers crossed here.

Do you still have the option to try all-Naim cabling? … But I confess I’m not familiar with the specific models you have in place, so understand that you may already have eliminated this variable.

Yes, I have the original cables but discounted the regular Naim DIN-XLR’s very quickly as they were replaced with Chord Signature TA alternatives with the 282 / Supercap and were a huge step up from those that came in the box with the 300DR. I have kept the Signatures with the 552, but fully appreciate that they do make the sound more lively and possibly contribute to the brightness at higher volumes now. The real thing I miss is the space and openess present with the 282

I would change the set up so that Burndy (and in fact all cables) hangs free.

Also, return to stock cabling as a way to get a base measure of SQ.

Also, keep it playing music overnight to increase the speed of run in.

5 Likes

I beg to differ. Dealers are there to support you, get them round to sort it out.

3 Likes

Is the wall an outside wall?

Is the wall cold to the touch?

Is it even (slightly damp) from condensation?

Any Naim kit I have had over the years always takes time to settle down and not always on a straight upward path. Sounds great from switch on and the next day not as good. Then an improvement or perhaps not. Best not to get hung up about the inconsistent benefits till its really settled down. You should then be more than happy.

The sense of ‘space and openness’ of a NAC552 should be way ahead of a NAC282. a few things though that can kill it; most obvious is if the bolts securing the floating brass mass loaded boards are not removed or only partially removed; second, if the Burndy cable is not “relaxed” and hanging free of stress or if the strain relief on the Burndy cable has been done up too tight; thirdly if a CD player, head unit or digital device is placed right above the NAC552. There’s probably more, but these are the obvious ones.

2 Likes