Used NAC 552

Same for me.

Mij29, this is strange for me. The 552DR will sing with a 300DR beautifully and emotively. It’s a walk-over over the 282… so something is really amiss.

If it were my 552DR, a reference level pre-amp, and that imbalance is inaudible or negligible, I could accept it but anything else, it would be a send back immediately to Naim for another round of checks to make sure it is working flawlessly as it should.

I put myself in your shoes and feel your discomfort and frankly, it cannot be that your 552DR doesn’t reach out as emotively - and much more so - than your 282.

If you have a vertical stack, the EM fields from those large transformers in the power supplies will only emanate upwards, so you have two large transformers to contend with, the 300PS and the 552PS… hardly ideal for the sensitive electronics in the head units above. If we would make the effort to separate them well away from one another, Sir [tall Fraim spacers], and from the sensitive head units, that will help our system “flow” so much more. I have found this to “unclog” a Naim system and its sound.

Cable dressing is a downright pain in the arse, but it’s imperative for a sensitive system already approaching the reference level in your home.

Never least, room acoustics for me.

There is no other way around these collective touchpoints unfortunately. I feel your pain and am just trying to help you get your system to sing, as it should, same with all our friends who have posted here.

Something would be amiss with your 552DR, Sir if it still feels unemotive after you’ve done all the above, and I would get the unit back to Naim.

The last thing I can think of, is the dedicated power spur for your system - without good juice, the system just fails to open up.

I wish you speedy recourse for your lovely 552DR!! And to be blown away with it. Patience is the mother of all hi fi set-ups.

1 Like

This is sound advice I would not trifle with particularly in a Naim near-reference level gig.

I hope your stock cables are run-in for at least 4 to 6 months of regular play before comparisons are done and conclusions made with other makes.

As others have mentioned, something is not right with your 552. I’d just add that in the last 2 years I’ve gone 282/HC to 282/SC (which I found unbalanced btw) to 252 and 552.

The 552 is leagues ahead in increasing the qualities you say you are missing. In my case - No Fraim, PS on the floor, Burndys not magically suspended or taking fright because they touch something.

It sounds glorious.

And before the stacking/dressing police jump on me, it will be sorted. I’m just waiting for my 300DR before stripping everything down and repositioning in a new piece of furniture.

Good luck identifying the cause.

G

3 Likes

I’m really humbled by the experience here on the Forum - it’s an amazing hot pot of ideas, passion and a love for music, mostly through Naim systems. :sunglasses:

Still learning… and I have much catching up to do. What I know for certain, is that I still know so little. I’m still learning from everyone here who are all my mentors and I’m grateful reading earnest replies borne from their experience. Thank you all. :pray: Am happy.

ha ha! We’re all music thieves…

lol Good one GraemeH! Cheers

1 Like

If you can post a photo of the rack it may help.

2 Likes

Hi PhilP,

Huge thanks for all your great observations and ideas for finding a solution. Also, thank you to Richard - I guess you would all happily fall off your chairs at the proximity of the 552 head unit to its neighbours - a 555 powered CDX2 above, and the 300 head unit just below… They are on a DIY glass rack using 100mm Quadraspire spacer legs so pretty close… The layout suited the room, but thanks to your collective help and advice, this afternoon’s efforts will be to pull all six boxes out and create temporary brain / brawn two x three stacks to the right of the current situation. I’ll do my very best with the dressing and see what it all sounds like…

Once again, huge thanks one and all; I have no local dealer having moved to the area after buying my original 282 based system in Leicestershire and so your guidance is invaluable…

3 Likes

Thank you, posted in all its (no) glory…

A triumph of aesthetic over function?

Have fun mij29! … it’s gonna open up so much more once you’re done.

I’ve also found, anything we move in a Naim set-up, will take time to “bed in”… to settle down on their substrate support.

Naim equipment when sounding right, do not like to be moved as much. Don’t touch what ain’t broke. I found that out the hard way and regretted it. lol

You’re in for quite a ride, Sir! Enjoy.

What is supporting the glass shelves above and below the 552?

What are the ‘Quadraspire spacer legs’ resting on?

Hi JimDog,

The shelves have the the shortest (100mm) black quadraspire legs between them, and the base shelf (supporting the 552) has the shorter legs with the spikes on that just clears the 300 head unit… All quite close together…

Hi mij29
Are they are Q4 EVO glass shelves?
Jim

No, just 10mm toughened glass I had made up for the purpose…

Forgive me for asking what is probably a very very stupid question and one which I am sure I know the answer to. I would however feel terrible if you were experiencing anything less than absolute joy from the 552 and I had not asked. I assume, as alluded to by Richard, that the transit bolts have been fully removed? It’s difficult to tell from the pictures. I’d hate it if it were something so simple.

That’s some very nice cabinetry by the way!

Are you going to use the same racks when you set them up again?

Glass shelves are known to sometimes sound a bit ‘splashy’.

I use 10mm toughened glass vibration isolation shelves as per this thread:

Burndy dressing thread:

Hi Steve, yes, the transit bolts are safely stored and were removed prior to installation. The cabinets were built from MDF to store books etc; their use for Naim support was definitely and afterthought!

Not necessarily, I have loads of old cherry quadraspire that I can use to try the impact of dedicated support on a brawn / brains arrangement, so the glass will be set aside. Thanks very much for the isolation suggestions!:+1:

1 Like

All of that should make a big difference to SQ.

The 552 will enjoy the view from a top shelf.

3 Likes

Oh God… what did I just get myself back into…? :scream::stuck_out_tongue::sweat_smile: ha

Where’s that blue tooth speaker - can’t seem to find it.

1 Like

Inside a cabinet with a CD player above it doesn’t seem the best way to go for SQ.

1 Like