Used NAIM CD Player Recommendation

Thanks! Do you think I would get a similar lift from a DAC-v1? The only reason I would consider this is because it accepts the asynchronous USB, and I currently have both my CD5XS and a mac mini connected to my preamp (the mac mini via an OPPO 105). Another option would be to keep the mac mini connected through the OPPO and just run the CD5XS through the DAC.

thanks!

From what I’ve been advised ( not ever heard the DAC V-1) I don’t believe you would get the same SQ uplift at all, and that advice came from a very reliable source

Another cd5xs user here. I use mine spdif out via a dc1 into my ndx2/xpsdr.
Bit pointless perhaps as all my cds are ripped to nas. But I can’t bring myself to ditch or even store my cds.
So no surprise the cd and the rip sound the same.
But sometimes I enjoy using physical media and reading proper sleeve notes.
And yes, if the price is right, I still buy cds.

2 Likes

The Cd5xs into the ndx2 would sound pretty good no doubt ? I believe the ndx2 has an excellent DAC

When I had a CD5XS as my main source, I added a nDAC and found the upgrade in SQ very significant. To my ears, and many others (but not all) the CD5XS/nDAC combination outperformed the CDX2. I also had a Mac mini. Mine was one of the earlier models which had an optical output and I used a high quality optical cable from the Mac mini to the nDAC. To my ears, even just using iTunes, the SQ on a ripped disc played from the Mac mini pipped that of the same disc played on the CD5. The optical connection was much better than it had any right to be.

Like @Bevo I later added a XPS and eventually had this upgraded to DR status. Each change gave a definite and worthwhile improvement but adding the nDAC to the CD5 was probably the biggest jump in SQ.

Roger

It does, but I have no doubt that adding the xpsdr really makes it shine.
Yes, I’d have preferred a cdx2.2 , but I’d still have used that as a transport, hence the cd5xs was more affordable.
I keeping meaning to listen to the cd5xs via its own dac powered by a HC.

An interesting experiment my Naim dealer and I carried out about 2 months ago

CD5XS/nDAC/XPS-2. vs CDX2/nDAC/XPS-2

Could not detect in difference in SQ what so ever

1 Like

Hi one last question that should probably go in its own thread, but hopefully ok to ask here:

I now have 4 boxes: nDAC, CD5XS, Flatcap XS, Nait XS-2

I have 3 shelves.

Which boxes are OK to stack, and which ones need a dedicated shelf?

thanks!!

1 Like

Very good question profan915

Not been a stack been a stat Boy but gut says 2 options others say different

CD one shelf, dac on next shelf - source first , then rest stack

Other option - CD one shelf next shelf amp next and remainder stack

That - IMO - is a Naim Grey/Lavender interconnect. Which is exactly what I use.

I am as certain as I can be, that its a genuine Naim made lead.

This is a beautiful set, progfan.

1 Like

I really would avoid stacking boxes. Naim themselves warn against it and they should know! Could you add an additional shelf, either on your rack, or perhaps attached to a wall or even use something like a small table next to your rack? If that’s absolutely impossible I might be tempted to lose the Flatcap so each box has it’s own shelf.

BTW that’s a nice setup, one I ran for several years (with original Nait XS) and your front end will not disgrace a Supernait should you decide to go that way in the future.

Roger

1 Like

I think CD5i is quite good with healthy optical device

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.