Value vs price

Only you can measure the expectations and implications of this one. For this reason I don’t own a system worth double. But then again, I also don’t own a technics midi-system, which she would be totally happy with. You just have find your happy domestic bliss medium.

2 Likes

Cost of ownership calculations go full scale deflection when applied to Statement amplifiers. A certain west London retailer has sold at least two full Statement amplifiers for ~£65k, none of which could have been more than eight years old at the time.

2 Likes

I think you’re being hesitant about this because your head is telling you not to spend the money.

Your heart wants the new toys and you’re hoping everyone here is going to say ‘just do it, you know you want to…’ to persuade you. Of course you want the latest, greatest kit, we all do, but as @HungryHalibut says

I can say with considerable confidence, that this time next year, you won’t be sitting down to a listening session, thinking to yourself, ‘Gosh, I’m so pleased I spent that £20K, it’s given me so much more enjoyment than my old system would have done.’

Many on the forum, seem to care more about the acquisition than the listening. You don’t need to.

The system you have already surpasses what most people would ever even aspire to. Enjoy it and suggest to your partner you go on holiday with a small chunk of what you’d have spent on the Hifi.

To me, if you’re going to do anything, save a bit of money to upgrade the NDX2 in a few years when the technology on it is bettered.

10 Likes

Since I got to the point where I was paying four figures for a single box I’ve never changed components just because I wanted something better - I’ve done it because there was an element of the sound I wasn’t happy with. As soon as I got to a level I was happy with I stopped. Admittedly, the bar is pretty high (252/300DR) but since I hit that level I have absolutely no desire to go higher.
You say you’re happy with your current system so why not stick? It’s obvious your other half has major doubts.

4 Likes

With your speakers I would be tempted to go active with your SN3. Admittedly I haven’t listened to active 606 with SN3/250DR, but those who have reported rather enthusiastically. I only had a chance to hear active 707 — it was sublime.

Compared to New Classic kit, going active with old Classic is rather economical, and it could leave enough monies in the kitten to improve the source for a balanced system without breaking the bank.

Was going to say “go active” but you’ve beaten me by 2 mins of me skim reading the thread.
Sn3/250, snaxo (or more likely the exposure vxn) and hicaps.

2 Likes

I wonder how the kitten feels about that?!

2 Likes

Far from agonising, it is an exciting journey! I will enjoy the process of listening and then purchasing (or not).

Many thanks @gthack .

1 Like

I feel you are over-thinking and intellectualising the whole thing unnecessarily.

What is a hi-fi system for? It is for bringing you pleasure. If you feel you will gain more pleasure from doing this or spending that then just do it. I assume you are capable of managing your finances and so are not asking for financial advice - which in any case would be of little or no value to you unless you disclosed all your private financial arrangements.

You are asking people to tell you what you should do. Nobody at all here, and that obviously incudes me, can give you a meaningful answer beyond ‘do whatever pleases you’. People can give advice but this will be coloured by their own preferences and experiences, which may be very different indeed to yours.

The only spend that makes sense is that which increases your pleasure. And that doesn’t necessarily mean increasing sound quality. If it increases your pleasure to swap all your gear for a one-box system then just do it. Quite frankly, all the rest is just a load of hot air.

3 Likes

What is your thread about then?

You don’t seem to want any advice other than “go for it”.

In 12 months you’ll be reading about how the 300 power supplies make the “broken” 333 sound stupendous and the thrill of your 20k spend exciting journey will be long forgotten.

The thrill of the chase, I’ve been there, done that, and thankfully my most embarrassing posts about my chases are lost on the old forum.

.sjb

10 Likes

All sounds very familiar to me!

I recall when the original Chord Hugo came out it was the best thing ever. It could do absolutely no wrong. Then when the Hugo 2 was introduced suddenly we started reading about how the original Hugo could sound rather brittle, hard and thin! Funny that. So it went from being the best bit of kit you could buy to sounding broken virtually overnight!

Yes there will always be something better. Today’s blue-eyed boy quickly becomes tomorrows has-been.

2 Likes

If you are using both ndx2 and supernait “bare” then xps dr (or new npx300) and a hicap might be all you need.

1 Like

Hi @anon55098131 , @Sloop_John_B , I am not actually asking for anyone’s advice here! I am describing my potential journey and the whole point of the thread is to hear about other people’s journeys.

As you both correctly point out, any advice would be based on other people’s experience with their ears and listening environments.

The same is true but probably to a greater extent, when it comes to dealers. They can give pointers and explain their preferences but they want to sell kit at the end of the day. It is great to speak to them and read about other people’s experiences on these forums but I actually pay more attention to issues with the kit rather than glowing endorsements.

One key factor for me increasing the box count will be how much more noticeable the hum may be from so many extra transformers. I don’t read much about this - maybe it is not a problem to anyone else. These are all topics for the other great threads about the 300 series though.

Maybe I am over sharing on this thread which might give the impression that I am seeking advice, but this is certainly not the case. I am in control of my finances and would not contemplate over spending.

My spend will be small compared to some people and excessive compared to others and everything in between. It is great to hear about other people’s journeys and what influenced them along the way.

Listening to music is great and gives immense enjoyment but not all of us will like the same styles, bands etc. as we all have different tastes. The same is true of the equipment we choose to listen on.

Regardless of our individual financial status’ I find it interesting to know how people prioritise their systems.

Many thanks for your contributions and also @HungryHalibut for the concise response.

1 Like

You are spot on about the thrill of the chase and I am very able to ignore all of it and just enjoy my NDX2/SN3. However, over the past 5 years I notice a few aspects of my favourite recordings that leave me wondering what it would take to address these issues. The fact that the 300 series has come out now affords me the chance to explore a step up range that is now within reach.

I decided after the purchase of my NDX2/SN3 that I would not consider the 200 range of separates and still hold to this today. The 500 and beyond has never not interested me.

If I do upgrade it will be the 300 series and again, I will have no interest in any new 300 (400?) or whatever May follow.

I will not buy unless I am convinced and will then be happy and not look to upgrade regardless of whatever shiny new products may appear.

1 Like

Stick with what you have! You most certainly won’t get twice the enjoyment out of the proposed new system vs your old one. If I could do it over, I’d get the SN3 instead of the 252/SCDR/250DR, and spend the savings on something I might enjoy even more (eg taking the family to Disney World).

4 Likes

Another opinion here suggesting putting a pre-loved 555PS DR or an NPX 300 on your NDX2 before deciding on the amp upgrade.

Ultimately I do think your speakers would benefit from an amp upgrade but optimising the source first would be my advice.

5 Likes

I’m in the same situation. I started thinking about upgrade with new Classic serie, however the most whorty may be to replace my XPSDR with 555DR or NPX300 for my NDX2. But what PSU? :thinking:

1 Like

Unless you are already experiencing problems with this, and/or your listening seat is very close to the equipment, then I wouldn’t worry too much here. I suspect the reason you don’t read much about it is basically because it isn’t really an issue, except perhaps in relatively few extreme circumstances.

It’s good to know that you have it all in hand. Whatever you decide to do - enjoy it. As long as it remains fun and pleasurable then it’s all worthwhile.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. The only thing I would say, and it’s only based on personal experience, is don’t be convinced that you will never want to upgrade again! The number of times I’ve thought that over the decades…