Variable volume in NDX 2

This is interesting. I wonder if NDX2 can be plugged directly into a power amp - ie bypassing the need for a pre all together.

It’s perfectly possible to do this, although you will need to get hold of a suitable lead.
Not the usual Naim path, of course, but it works.

Before the NDX2 hit the shelves in my local dealer I got wind of this volume feature. I asked if the NDX2 could be used to drive a NAP directly and my dealer checked with Naim. My dealer reported back to me, yes it can but it isn’t how Naim intended it to be used. They loaned me an NDX2 to try with my NAP300. As Chris says you need a non standard cable to do this and I can confirm that it does work, however, my findings were that the sound lacked the usual dynamics.

I am not very good at describing what I heard, but I can say that it was not an impressive combination, possibly (speculation on my part) because Naim didn’t create the volume-controlled signal path out of the NDX2 to match the line out quality, why? well, it would have cost more and I would guess that this would undercut the need to buy a Preamp.

Personally, I think that Naim have missed a trick here, I and many others only use a digital source, have no need for additional inputs and are very happy with changing the volume via an iPad app. Yes they would sell fewer pre amps and 272’s but I would have bought the NDX2 if it had worked well and possibly a PSU to go with it in time. Instead the result for a budget limited chap like me was ‘No Sale’. I don’t see how this is a score for Naim?

2 Likes

The variable output is a compromise as it’s in the digital domain so bits need to be manipulated to adjust the volume which as you have found degrades the sound quality.

The only reason this feature is present is to allow for Apple/Google certification which stipulates a variable volume output.

Others manage to do this successfully.

I agree, and my suspicion is that naim is deliberating holding back. I have tried a chord TT connecting directly to a 250DR, and thought it sounded really good, and probably better than having a 202 in between.

Good to hear, I did try a similar experiment with a Hugo TT2 and found it very resolving, I probably should have stuck with it for a bit longer before giving the loan kit back!

If the volume control of NDX2 is in digital domain then there must be some quality loss.

It can’t be without, but if done right (like e.g. Roon’s volume leveling, which first upsamples to 64 bit float, adjusts the volume, and downsamples again) then it is very possible that the loss is not audible or small enough to make it worthwhile for some. However, I don’t know if the NDX2 does, as it seems that the digital correction was not meant in earnest

Yaa. That’s true.

I would assume as Naim’s documentation says you can change volume level they must have implemented digital correction. Otherwise they would have mentioned that this would have loss in quality.

It’s at least common knowledge on the forum that it was implemented not as a first class means of volume control but to fulfill some Apple or Google certification requirement. I believe that this is based in reality because such things tend to be true on the forum. I didn’t find it in any official docs either, but the docs for the new streamers are so sparse that it’s little surprise

1 Like

I was told this on a factory visit by the designer of the equipment.

2 Likes

I have tried it on the NDX2, it isn’t good.

Others manage it well, I have tried some of those too

Not jet

It only works when the system automation is disconnected ?

Yes, you need to turn off SA. Then the volume control option will appear in the settings menu.

When the original Hugo was all the rage, the recommendation was to set it to variable volume mode by choice, for best sound quality, even when using it through a Naim analogue preamp. You dialled the volume level down a bit, and then carried on using the Naim volume control as normal.
Sure, this is Chord’s implementation of digital volume control, not Naim’s, but the forum judged it to improve sound quality, not decrease it.

a pity really, think Naim missed an opportunity there.

1 Like

Indeed, and Naim have said the equivalent on this Forum as well.
The architecture of the internal digital volume control can’t offer the resolution of seamless digital volume as used by others such as Chord. For Naim it was a means to an end for Apple certification… but Naim won’t recommend it’s use for top performance, not least because of the technical resolution reasons.

Simon, what I am surprised is why Naim does not call out this limitation in the official documentation.

Given Naim’s reputation and the fact that it is a $7500 component, customers deserve at least this much of transparency.

Regards,
Sourav

I don’t know, but you may find that goes against the Apple certification… at the end of the day let your ears decide, however if you are underwhelmed at least you know why.