Very Small High Quality Speakers

Should fit his 700 quid budget perfectly.
If he has any change he can buy some Super Lumina cable for them.
:laughing:

2 Likes

That looks pretty greatā€¦ and they have a 4" and 5" variantā€¦ thinkingā€¦

1 Like

Right. I guess I missed the under Ā£700 part :laughing:

2 Likes

Yah this is just a small second setup idea

I have a set of Ruark mr1ā€™s running out an audioquest dragonfly red dac, with a Cambridge audio minx x201 subwoofer. This should come in right around Ā£700 and I am really pleased with it. The sub fills in any gap in bass inherent in smaller desktops, and the ruark dragonfly combo really sings!

There is a large choice of speakers at that price range.
Many interesting options. One of them could be a pair of used Jean-Marie Reynaud Bliss JubilƩ

1 Like

If you are thinking of using a Uniti Qute (and I have one) you need to check the output from your computer goes in the machine .

What about the Rainmakers? They sound excellent as well

Iā€™m no expert in terms of Totem speakers. Iā€™ve heard the Kin Miniā€™s at my dealers a few times, I was just answering the opā€™s request to identify a smaller speaker than those already recommended.
Are the Rainmakers, along with the Dreamcatchers, not discontinued ?
If it was my cash I would likely go for the Neat Iotas or the Proac Tablette.

The OP wants a ā€œrich soundā€ that rules out Neat Iotaā€™s IMHO and my experience is that they need to be played loud to sound ā€œcorrectā€ which is why Iā€™m parting with mine, driven by a Superuniti on my desktop. Looking at Tablette 10ā€™s.

3 Likes

Well we all hear things differently and they sound ā€œrichā€ to me in my tiny office. Perhaps wall mounting has an effect.

However, the OP did also specify: very small, usable sitting on a desk and sub Ā£700. Fine speakers though they are, Iā€™m not sure Tab 10s fill any of these requirements.

Roger

Yes I did get that spectacularly wrong on size/price, I really wish I could live with the Iotaā€™s, wall mounting isnā€™t an option Iā€™m afraid. Tried high mass stands (bricks) and ISO Acoustics stands as recommended by Neat. The midrange is all wrong for me very thin, vocals sound dreadful, but they are the perfect size for a desk and look wonderful.
Cranked up things improve but thatā€™s not what I want for near field listening. I have tried.

2 Likes

Thanks to the OP for this thread - Iā€™m starting to look at desktop speakers too. I did try my own Harbeth P3ESRs in the corners on makeshift stands but theyā€™re a little too big in that space and the bass is surprisingly a bit too much. (Wouldnā€™t fit OPs requirements on size or cost either.)

1 Like

For the nearfield listening on your desktop, do check out Audience The Ones - single driver loudspeakers.

Thereā€™s a very good TAS review by Steven Stone, that details how to optimize them. Including that they should be raised and pointed at your ears.

I use them on my desktop with a UQ2, and the nearfield soundstage is surprisely expansive.

You can optionally add a small, fast subwoofer(s) at some point. I use dual REL T-5is with mine (I first tried a REL T-Zero, but it didnā€™t move enough air to disappear. So I would avoid unless your desk is in a tiny room).

2 Likes

:joy:

Yeah I have several options for connectivity so no concerns there.

These look like a really good possibility. Know of any UK purchase options?

ProAc on a desk :smiley:

9b8baeada6c508da905238126157df8a

7 Likes

You could inquire with Signature Audio Systems @ 07738 007776, as they are listed on Audienceā€™s page.

You could also keep an eye out for them on the second hand market, if so inclined. For example, there was a pair FS on the fishy site recently, but unfortunately got sold in early October. But the point is that they do occasionally show up on the UK second hand market if youā€™re not in a hurry.

ha ha