Vibration Isolation / Support for Glass

Is that a hicap on top of a 252 powering the headline?

No, it’s a SNAXO 242 fed from a FlatCap XS, which is is on the second from bottom shelf.

1 Like

@frenchrooster

Been thinking about what you said. This is my existing rack, the LP12 is on a wall shelf above it.

@frenchrooster

This is my first go at splitting the rack into two in the Brains / Brawn style. The LP12 is now sitting on an Isolation Platform on top of the Brains rack. My floor is solid concrete, so no issues with needle bounce.

Any thoughts on the layout.

2 Likes

I don’t see how that is supposed to perform vibrational isolation

It appears to me to be just an engineered solution for locating the mating parts. The area of contact doesn’t appear to be minimised, and the components appear to be made from the same material.

It’s neat, yes; but not relevant to this thread.

3 Likes

The spikes sit in the cups for each wooden shelf and the same for the glass shelf. Small point of contact, similar to Fraim on which the design is based

The area of contact here is so large that vibration will be transmitted essentially unhindered.

Where is the small point of contact?
The cones are too wide an angle, machining steel in that way won’t produce the tiny point of contact needed with hard materials such as steel
The upper and lower parts seem to be the same material, so won’t achieve reflection based on different wave propagation velocities.

I still don’t see where the vibrational isolation occurs.

Incidentally from a perspective of the mechanical response to vibration, the design is completely different from a Fraim (where the glass sits directly on the ball).

2 Likes

Thank you for your comments.

Obviously you will also need to buy another base to split it

Yes, think it’s much better. Can you inverse the 2X Naps with your DAB?

Yes. Need one more base and one isolation platform.

No. The DAB is too tall to be on a shelf under another.

1 Like

Magico M rack. 50k. Will Xanthe say it’s not enough effective? :rofl:

1 Like

Like those cable supports.

I think it needs more mass :joy:

2 Likes

A very positive review of the Isoacoustics Gaia on the last Stereophile. Review by Michael Fremer ( for his big Wilson speakers).

He recommends, for those having carpet on concrete floor, to use Isoacoustics multi spiked carpet discs.

1 Like

I think I’ll still stick with my solution at somewhat less than 1/10th of the price.

It’s not an alternative to your solution Xanthe.
I wanted just to share the multi spiked discs , because some were wandering if Isoacoustics could work properly under speakers on a carpet.
And I didn’t want to open a new thread just for that.

1 Like

Hi @Xanthe
Thanks for all your advice, I’m onto phase 2 of “sprucing” it up to look better. I appreciate the lengths you’ve gone to explain the principles of reflection and the velocity of different materials. Nothing makes me regret bunking off science class all those years ago than trying to understand this thread :smile: However I’d be curious to know when using steel spikes, if the material the spike is made of needs to be different to the material it mates with, for instance if a hardened steel spike meets a floor protector or puck should one naturally choose a different material for the puck like brass from the material of the spike? maybe they work in a total different way and its not important. I’d like to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

Weta

Has anyone used acrylic rack shelves?

Acrylic is often said to be relatively ‘acoustically dead’.

I suppose this means that when subjected to mechanical forces, it doesn’t vibrate or shake as much as stiffer materials such as wood or glass.

I’m trying to work out whether my Xanthe-designed glass shelves on Silicone nitride spheres on brass cups would work better on their current bamboo and maple shelves, or if I put them on acrylic shelves instead?