Vintage NAIM NAC/NAP

I really don’t know about the 32.5. I remember when it came out and people being so enthusiastic about it that, IIRC, dealers were modding 32s to take HiCaps. I was less convinced it was such a great step up. Trouble is, I knew about 1/20th of what I know now about listening to things so I’m not sure I can rely on my judgment from back then. It’s so much about experience and what you’ve been exposed to - and this is almost exactly 40 years ago. Yikes! It could have been more the HiCap that I didn’t get on with - and I imagine everything inside the 32.5 and 32 are exactly the same - bar the V+ rails. It’s very possible that a 32.5 with a SNAPS, as you suggested, would give me back what I want.

I could be in a minority of one thinking that the 32/SNAPS is better, and of course I haven’t raised this to find out if anyone else shares my view (now I don’t care if people think I’m crazy or deaf :slight_smile: ). I have a kind of plausible, but purely hypothetical, suspicion that it was all a bit of an interim measure. The 52 had been around for a while and was very obviously the next step up, though it wouldn’t be in production for some time (a couple of years away, maybe?), and splitting the rails was one of the obvious “good things” to trickle down from it. So they gave that to the existing range while the dealers waited for the 52 - many of whom had heard it already and were chomping at the bit. Obviously it’s easier to get a power supply into production than it is an amplifier, and they probably had the HiCap up their sleeve as one of the steps on the way to the 52PS. I should stress again, as I’m on their platform, that I don’t know that to be true, but it is a plausible scenario.

2 Likes

Never heard the Conniston R but heard very good things about it, such as being more engaging than the more expensive Eden and close to Kans. Don’t see many for sale.

1 Like

I have had Conniston R and Edens, to me the Edens are on another level much better,both for engagement and musicality,Kans are even better.

2 Likes

I loved my Edens. Except for the bass :thinking:

1 Like

I also had active Edens,Snaxo 2x BD Nap 160 and 2xNap 120,very very good.

2 Likes

I’ll bet they were. :slightly_smiling_face:
Musical joy.

1 Like

My Coniston R (1987) are a perfect match for my CB Nait 2 (1988).

Minstrels also work fab here. Edens benefit from / need more amp.

2 Likes

An interesting idea re the Allison speakers. The design is very clever and gives a large soundstage.

NVA did indeed produce their own version and it’s rather good. I use a pair of Cube 3 speakers. Place of stands of the height you want, closer to the wall for more bass and toe-in if you want a little bit of focus. Don’t really do “pin-point imaging” but that’s fake and meaningless to my ears.

I really would like to hear a pair on the end of a Naim amp. My gut feeling is that something like a 160 would make them sing. I’m a big fan of the unregulated cb amps. I use an alternative manufacturers amp (not NVA) and I’m not inclined to change the speakers. O.k, if a pair of immaculate SBLs or Bricks became available……

1 Like

My NAC62/NAP140 arrived today. I’ve quickly set up my Rega RP3 turntable with an Elys2 MM cartridge and connected it to two B&W 684 speakers. After testing, the sound quality is really excellent, and I am very satisfied. I am in love :wink: However, I’m considering whether to further enhance the setup. Currently, there are two Olive HiCaps for sale in Austria. In your opinion, do the potential audio benefits justify the expense? The seller is asking for around EUR 600 for them. What do you think they are worth? Another question: The NAC62 has 2 BNC outputs, and I don’t want to rebuild it to RCA. So, I am looking for good BNC to RCA adapter plugs. Which ones would you recommend?

2 Likes

Yes, is the answer to your Hicap question. :grinning:

2 Likes

A Hicap will make a big difference imho - I remember the improvement when I did the same with 72/140 many years ago. However, an olive Hicap will need a service after very roughly 12 years (some say 10, others 15). If that has not been done, then E600 may not be that cheap.

3 Likes

None. Do not use adaptors… :expressionless:

I agree with you about adapters, but it must be possible to get a good cable from, say, Chord, with the right terminations at each end?

1 Like

I managed to successfully replace the RCAs on my previous Linn cable with BNCs and that was before I considered my competent with a soldering iron. Took it slowly and carefully practicing on some old connectors first. :+1:

1 Like

I have a NAC62/HiCap/NAP90 which I bought new in 1988. Source is a Linn LP12 also purchased new at the same time. The Lingo and NAT03 were added a few years later. I’m still listening to it 35 years later and have spent money on records, not gear, over the past several decades.

33 Likes

Dear @Whatsinanaim
What a smashing photo. You should re-post it in “Systems Pics” too.
Really nice to see an original Sound Organisation equipment stand.
We had a SO turntable stand, which got lost somewhere, somehow. I really miss it.

Completely get the sentiment, “music, not gear”.

Happy listening
R

7 Likes

Great pic and lovely room.

So, should the OP buy more records (like you) or buy a HiCap (like you)? :slight_smile:

If I had more than 500 records I’d get the HiCap. Less than 500, I’d spend the money on records. A used HiCap cost around 50 records, and I think you’d be better to grow your collection by 10% than spend it on gear.

8 Likes

600 euros is a lot of money for an Olive HiCap, unless you really need one. You can get a Classic HiCap DR for about 800, and that won’t need a service - but I suppose it won’t work in an Olive system.

1 Like

I bought my 2nd one, in 2012 for GB£375. A service cost me another £200… :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes