Vintage NAIM NAC/NAP

Hello! From time to time I buy and treat myself to vintage HiFi. Currently, I listen but much with DIY tube projects eg Mullard3-3 EL84 SE amplifier, or with a 6L6GC PP amplifier, etc… But I also own a NAD 3240PE. Since years NAIM appeals to me. Would like to venture into the equipment of the 78/80s, so the early models. Which NAC NAP combo would you recommend me? I like the Chrome Bumper and Olive devices that came in a “shoebox format” best :wink: Looking forward to your “recommendations” and opinions Thank you and greetings from Austria.

3 Likes

Find the best Chrome Bumper NAC42 and NAP110 you can. Or of you prefer Olive, a NAC62 and NAP140 - A great place to start with classic Naim kit.

11 Likes

I would recommend an all- Olive pairing of NAC72 and NAP140, but remember to hold back a bit of extra cash for service/recap, if they haven’t been back to Salisbury recently.

A brilliant combination, provided that you get a suitable pair of loudspeakers, such as Linn’s original Kans or the superficially similar BBC LS3/5A, with which the Kans share the same cabinet dimensions, but not much else.

9 Likes

PE- Power envelope. Had the same Nad from 1985? Didn’t like being played loud. Well, the speakers connected to it didnt.

Richard, curious why you’d go 62 instead of 72 for Olive?

Not forgetting the SNAPS or, even better, Hicap!

2 Likes

There’s probably no need for the extra facilities so a NAC62 will be more affordable.

4 Likes

Thank you! :wink:

Thank you Richard!

What do you think about olive combo NAC 62 + NAP 90 ?

The NAP90 and NAP90/2 are nice little power amps, but the NAP110 andNAP140 are so much better I wouldn’t bother with the 90 as there’s not much difference in price these days.

5 Likes

The older Naims are really special but dont forget the importance of having the amps/recapped-serviced by Naim to restore like-new performance. And set the amps up on some light rigid tables, Ikea Lack are very cheap and still works decently.

4 Likes

What sources of supply besides the well-known ebay, uk-audio mart, which also ship to the EU do you know? One platform I use is hifishark.

Try Tom Tom audio.

2 Likes

What ist the difference between a NAC42 and 42.5?

The NAC42.5 allows you to power with a dual rail supply such as provided by a HICAP.

Later NAC42 and also NAC42.5s used an ALPS Black Velvet volume pot. NAC42.5s fitted BNCs on the phono input as standard.

2 Likes

One more vote for:-
62/140
72/140
72/Hicap/ 140
72/ Hicap/ 250
82/ Hicap/ 250
In order of increasing excellence.

7 Likes

I would recommend a CB combo composed with NAC32.5 and NAP110 which is less “puchy” than the 140 and more charming to my ears.

4 Likes

…and price…

Yes. As usual, the second-hand market is good at finding prices for each option that the average buyer and seller think about fair.

If the truth was that 62/90 were just as good in just about any room/ system as 82/HC/250 or 52/ SC/ 2 x 135, that would be a big story.

For simple VFM, 62/140 is an unusually good option, as others have said.

4 Likes