Vintage Speakers for Naim XS3

So beautiful, even with a modern twist!

2 Likes

Just back from way up North to collect the Royd speakers after restoration. Couldnā€™t wait until daylight to make some pics, as they really are beyond expectation.

Sounded great in the shop, will report back when the Nait 2 is back from service in Salisbury. Have been told itā€™s ready and on its way. The last serviced / restored item to return after the LP12, all cables, the speakers. Will be fun next weekend.

2 Likes

Front

6 Likes

Rear

6 Likes

Exciting times :blush:
Itā€™s so great when a project comes together :+1:

1 Like

Yes, very happy!

6 Likes

The cabinets look stunning

1 Like

Thanks, yes amazing work and well worth it!

Thereā€™s always modern vintage. Any of the current JBL monitor range based on some very classic designs from the 70s but fresh off the production line.

L-82 or L-52 re releases would be a good price match with th XS. JBL are known to work well with Naim. Not the last word in refinement but highly enjoyable.

Iā€™ve been dying to scratch the JBL itch with a modern vintage for years.

1 Like

My pre-loved n-SATs are over 17 years old and are in mint unmarked condition. Apparently they were part of an AV system and were very well looked after, even the stands are unmarkedā€¦ They still look like new and sound as fresh as a daisy, certainly better than my 5 year old Motive SX2s ever did. Some people really look after their kit and if youā€™re in the right place at the right time then one can really pick up an absolute bargain that no newer alternatives will match.

2 Likes

Ah yes. Good thread that :+1:

2 Likes

Same here Stephen

My nSats are the piano black finish , I purchased them from my long suffering naim dealer quite a number of years ago and they are in immaculate condition

And absolute bargain , great SQ, Iā€™ll never sell them

3 Likes

Hello
Thank you very much for your answers.
Actually, I was hoping to get more body in the music. I am in Chile and the brands you mention are not found here. What you can find are: Tannoy, Technics, JBL and those kind of vintage brands. I guess I could get more body but less definition with this kind of speakersā€¦
Another reason for this quest is to get some good speakers without mortgaging an organ!!! Hahaha
Thanks for your comments
Regards

Another shout for the Royds (Sorcerer).

4 Likes

Reconed/restored vintage JBLā€™s should be fun, according to some inspiring posts here from several members and our moderator (the search function will point you there).

1 Like

I wonder whether Allison made it to Chile. I fell for Allison speakers when I was out in America in the early 80s. I was especially taken with the Allison Six speakers. They need to be used hard up against a wall but they had a great performance for their size. Iā€™d imagine theyā€™d work well with a NAIT.

1 Like

Nice Royds, what system do you use them with?

I use them on a second system - NAC 12 / NAP 120 / Rega P3 / Nakamichi 2 / Arcam DV88.

2 Likes

I think those should all be good fun. And while JBL might not the last word in detail, the derision some feel for the brand is totally unjustified. A classic JBL studio monitor gets you really close to the feel of a live jazz or rock gig because so many were actually used in the recording process for certain music of a certain era.

2 Likes

Hello, thank you for your comments.

Has anyone experimented with JBL L100, JBL 4311, Tannoy Cheviot? I have those speakers in my mind at the momentā€¦