Vintage NAIM NAC/NAP

Oh, lovely! :slight_smile:

It’s like cars, though, isn’t it? It’s what you saw in your teens that really gets you excited!

That’s very interesting about the Supex in a Rega arm. It backs up my comparison with the Ittok, albeit more than 30 years ago, when I had the two decks side by side. The difference in performance was a chasm and it really surprised me quite how big it was. But, nonetheless, it was fabulously easy to listen to. Like wallowing in a warm bath. :slight_smile: I gave that LP12 to an ex-girlfriend of mine and, like the two other G707s that have passed through my hands, I’ve regretted letting them go ever since. Interestingly, @anon55098131 was saying a few days ago that Jimmy Hughes was a little disappointed in the sound of the Breuer, too. I’d still like another Grace, and perhaps send the Supex off to Expert Stylus.

The remaining question then is whether to choose a 12S (another thing I regret selling) or a 32. On phono they are very close indeed so perhaps the 12 wins for period authenticity.

2 Likes

I have no experience of the 62/140 so I’m afraid I can’t help you with that.

The foam surrounds of my AE1s perished too, so thinking it would be a simple DIY task I ordered the replacements and set to work. Boy was I wrong! It couldn’t even get the woofers out! So took them to my Linn/Naim dealer where Ross worked his magic and they are now good as new.

They are a solid and very well built little speaker. Also be very wary of YouTube videos!!

1 Like

I keep meaning to send my Supex off to Expert Stylus! Perhaps now is the time to do it!

Back on topic (though I’m enjoying the Grace/Supex drift) - how about a 32.5 ? A friend has one and it sounds lovely. Probably not quite as warm and friendly as its predecessor but would be very close with just a single rail SNAPS for power.

1 Like

Crikey that’s a story all by itself. The AR3a is legendary and a good pair would still be a very capable ‘speaker now I’m sure.

2 Likes

Much as I respect AR AR3as, I never really rated them that much compared to Allison’s speakers under his own name. There were plenty of AR3as around when I was at school in NH, usually, but not always fronted by AR turntables. I also had a teacher at school who used to restore them.

The speaker that really captured me though was Roy Allison’s Allison Six. Here was a standmount speaker that used the boundaries of the room to really perform - positioned right they could sound amazing and like a far larger speaker. It should have been an ideal speaker for UK buyers, but never seemed to have taken off. It seems that NVA in the UK tried to make a sort of updated and uprated version, but I’ve only ever seen one pair many years ago, so no idea whether any more were made. I have a pair of Allison Sixes awaiting restoration - someone had fitted replacement mid/bass drivers. I tracked down some spare original drivers in the States and just need to find the time to complete the project. Should be great on the end of one of my vintage Naim systems.

3 Likes

A restored pair of Royd Coniston R standmounts also works just fine with the Nait 2 and LP12 :wink:

1 Like

I really don’t know about the 32.5. I remember when it came out and people being so enthusiastic about it that, IIRC, dealers were modding 32s to take HiCaps. I was less convinced it was such a great step up. Trouble is, I knew about 1/20th of what I know now about listening to things so I’m not sure I can rely on my judgment from back then. It’s so much about experience and what you’ve been exposed to - and this is almost exactly 40 years ago. Yikes! It could have been more the HiCap that I didn’t get on with - and I imagine everything inside the 32.5 and 32 are exactly the same - bar the V+ rails. It’s very possible that a 32.5 with a SNAPS, as you suggested, would give me back what I want.

I could be in a minority of one thinking that the 32/SNAPS is better, and of course I haven’t raised this to find out if anyone else shares my view (now I don’t care if people think I’m crazy or deaf :slight_smile: ). I have a kind of plausible, but purely hypothetical, suspicion that it was all a bit of an interim measure. The 52 had been around for a while and was very obviously the next step up, though it wouldn’t be in production for some time (a couple of years away, maybe?), and splitting the rails was one of the obvious “good things” to trickle down from it. So they gave that to the existing range while the dealers waited for the 52 - many of whom had heard it already and were chomping at the bit. Obviously it’s easier to get a power supply into production than it is an amplifier, and they probably had the HiCap up their sleeve as one of the steps on the way to the 52PS. I should stress again, as I’m on their platform, that I don’t know that to be true, but it is a plausible scenario.

2 Likes

Never heard the Conniston R but heard very good things about it, such as being more engaging than the more expensive Eden and close to Kans. Don’t see many for sale.

1 Like

I have had Conniston R and Edens, to me the Edens are on another level much better,both for engagement and musicality,Kans are even better.

2 Likes

I loved my Edens. Except for the bass :thinking:

1 Like

I also had active Edens,Snaxo 2x BD Nap 160 and 2xNap 120,very very good.

2 Likes

I’ll bet they were. :slightly_smiling_face:
Musical joy.

1 Like

My Coniston R (1987) are a perfect match for my CB Nait 2 (1988).

Minstrels also work fab here. Edens benefit from / need more amp.

2 Likes

An interesting idea re the Allison speakers. The design is very clever and gives a large soundstage.

NVA did indeed produce their own version and it’s rather good. I use a pair of Cube 3 speakers. Place of stands of the height you want, closer to the wall for more bass and toe-in if you want a little bit of focus. Don’t really do “pin-point imaging” but that’s fake and meaningless to my ears.

I really would like to hear a pair on the end of a Naim amp. My gut feeling is that something like a 160 would make them sing. I’m a big fan of the unregulated cb amps. I use an alternative manufacturers amp (not NVA) and I’m not inclined to change the speakers. O.k, if a pair of immaculate SBLs or Bricks became available……

1 Like

My NAC62/NAP140 arrived today. I’ve quickly set up my Rega RP3 turntable with an Elys2 MM cartridge and connected it to two B&W 684 speakers. After testing, the sound quality is really excellent, and I am very satisfied. I am in love :wink: However, I’m considering whether to further enhance the setup. Currently, there are two Olive HiCaps for sale in Austria. In your opinion, do the potential audio benefits justify the expense? The seller is asking for around EUR 600 for them. What do you think they are worth? Another question: The NAC62 has 2 BNC outputs, and I don’t want to rebuild it to RCA. So, I am looking for good BNC to RCA adapter plugs. Which ones would you recommend?

2 Likes

Yes, is the answer to your Hicap question. :grinning:

2 Likes

A Hicap will make a big difference imho - I remember the improvement when I did the same with 72/140 many years ago. However, an olive Hicap will need a service after very roughly 12 years (some say 10, others 15). If that has not been done, then E600 may not be that cheap.

3 Likes

None. Do not use adaptors… :expressionless:

I agree with you about adapters, but it must be possible to get a good cable from, say, Chord, with the right terminations at each end?

1 Like

I managed to successfully replace the RCAs on my previous Linn cable with BNCs and that was before I considered my competent with a soldering iron. Took it slowly and carefully practicing on some old connectors first. :+1:

1 Like