Vinyl Advice

Hi Mitch,

Are you usning a superline with your TT?

I am using a Superline w/ SCDR, for now. It will be replaced in the near future with a custom built phono stage which will also allow me to do recording onto my Revox from both my TT and my CD555. It will be known as the Mitch Switch! The Superline is the weak link in my system and I have been told that the new box will be a very significant improvement.

The speakers look awesome!!! And the statement dangling between them … awesome. But what about vibrations coming from the floor when playing loudly?

The vibrations from the floor are an issue, mostly with the TT. it is a hard wood suspended floor so there is not much I can do with that. To address the issue, I had platforms built to sit atop the Fraim glass shelf with vibration absorbing discs between the glass shelf and the platform and also between the wood Fraim and the glass. This worked better than having the glass sit atop the steel balls which are normally used. It made a very significant improvement, but if I really crank up the volume, I will still have a problem while playing records. But it would have to be extremely loud, almost to the point of discomfort. I’ve learned to live with it. There is no issue while playing tapes or CDs.

What kind of speakers are this? How much power do they need? Look like the ones of Ken Fritz … but more manageable.

1 Like

Not sure I would compare them to Ken Fritz’s speakers, but they do produce a magnificent sound. they are Grandinote Mach 36’s. they were custom built for me about 2 years ago and are the only pair in the world. Each speaker has 36 drivers and 25 tweeters. they weigh about 450 pounds each. what is most amazing about them, other than their sound, is that they are 105db efficiency!

105db … means I can use them with the nait?

Yup!

1 Like

That’s why I asked. I’ve got the S1 pre, Linn LP12 massively customised and I’ve just got A Lyra Etna SL so I’m thinking about a new phono stage, have you tried any other phonostages or any advice on an alternative to the Superline?

Sounds like you have a terrific system. I have not tried alternative phono stages, though there are several people on this Forum who have made recommendations other than the Superline. The box I alluded to earlier is being built for me by Danny Labrecque who owns and hand makes Luna Cables (the only ones I use). He already had designed the phono stage which he uses on his own system. He will be adding other features to that box which allow for recording as well as the use of my Headline amp. He used to be a Naim tech and sales guy so he is intimately familiar with my system. I also got my TT from him and he came down from Canada to set it up. I have absolute confidence in his abilities and judgement, to the point I feel no need to explore other phono stage options.

1 Like

I really wanted to make fun of you guys because of vinyl … but whatever float your boat.If YOU ENJOY IT, who am I to argue with the fun you are having :blush:. Its just not my cup of tea. But 105db … speakers … exactly my cup of tea :joy:

Not just fun, but hearing the best sounding music, the way it was meant to enjoyed…analog! (Here we go!)

1 Like

Don‘t force it tough :joy:. I‘ll be zen … yes it is the best sound and how its meant to be enjoyed. But not in my mini size flat :joy: (I‘ll stick with Qobuz)

I always wondered, does the S1 have the usual Naim hiss or are they quiet?

Sounds like a similar experience to me
Started with a Rega P2, started buying vinyl again after many years and soon became hooked, and the turntable was quickly swapped out for a P3.

Have spent most of lockdown acquiring more records, and had the itch to tweak, but in the end thought it easier to trade up for a better turntable and go moving coil
Now have a P8/Apheta and absolutely love it. Using a fono mc for the moment, so perhaps an Aria as the next logical upgrade.

I flirted with a CD player again about 6 months ago (rega Apollo) but to be honest have hardly ever used it.
Now I only stream (Tidal via Roon) or play vinyl

Usual Naim hiss??? You’re kidding, right?

Um, no. It’s a well known thing at least up to 252 and 300.

Well, I have a 250 for many years playing to Linn Isobariks and I never noticed a hiss. I use it in my second system along with a CDS3 and Revox PR 99 MKlll. I also did not have any hiss with my 500/552, and there is certainly none with the Statement.

But not the Nova apparently if it can run Volti Rivals and if Mitch still has the frequency range, not the 500 and up. I can’t hear any from a 500 into NBLs with new tweeters but I stop around 13k these days.

The Isobariks have only 86dB/1W/1m sensitivity, which may make all the difference. I have 89 dB (and Richard’s SL2 have 88) and I can only (and barely) hear it when I listen very closely in a very quiet room when I am one meter from the speakers.

So it is not loud but is there, and most other pricey brands don’t do it (as in, you really have to stick your ear to the tweeter or mid-range driver to hear a slight hiss), so there is the occasional thread from people new to Naim who are surprised, like the one I linked above.

I suppose it is a “sound first” thing that Naim accepts as a side effect of the amp design that they think makes the best music. And indeed that’s how it should be.

I meant Naim’s classic amp designs and the Unitis are quite different. It comes more from the 252 than the 300, i.e., when I waited on the 252 and used the 300 with a different pre, it was much less.

That was what I was asking, if the S1 and his previous 500 do