Vinyl Advice

if Mitch still has the frequency range,

A fair point, but I’d rather not think about that!

And here it is, along with the reference belt. Sounding lovely. I’ll probably leave the motor and Nero upgrade, as it’s about half the cost of a new Planar 6.

2 Likes

I balanced it since those photos :flushed:

2 Likes

Enjoy. Yeah, it’s costly when you have to change the motor

1 Like

I think I have mentioned it before, but if the motor is running at an unstable speed then you only need to replace the capacitors.

The speed is fine, I’m really just trying to get the best from it without spending silly money and avoiding a new turntable as I like this one quite a bit.

Yep, fine tt. I still run mine with a vms 20e. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

On the phono stage front try and audition a Cyrus phono signature and PSXR2 power supply. At the £2.5k price point it’s awesome.

If it’s a floor born vibration that is the problem, then you might want to look at SRA platforms/stands. SRA’s sister company does vibration reduction for nuclear submarines (and the platforms are named accordingly). I have one under my SME. They are made to order for your equipment.

However, in view of the proximity to your speakers, you might also be having some airborne/ feedback issues?

Well, in this case i´d rather doubt that a higher level Rega deck will change characteristics much. Therefore I´d go with a second hand LP12 (Karousell or Circus, Lingo, Ittok LV II or III or Ekos I), a new Technics SL-1200G or a second hand and freshly maintained Pioneer PL-70L II.

As said by others earlier your systems performance will benefit from a good phono preamp as well. Ampearl RE-2030 will be one of these good performers and comes for rather little money and is playing in the vdh The Grail class.

Hence Ampearl RE-2030 is MM only as long as you do not use a MC stepup transformer I´d go in the beginning with a Sumiko Songbird, Goldring Eroica oder any other good MC high output performer.

1 Like

If @Sls doesn’t want to change the sound characteristics of a Rega, the Rp8 would be a dramatic change, for around 1k.

3 Likes

Good though the Planar 3 has always been, there’s a BIG difference between a 3 and something like a Planar 8 or 10.

In characteristic? That would be surprising within a single product line.

1 Like

In performance, yes.

Of course you´ll get a different performance with a higher range REGA. Otherwise higher quality tonearms or phono cartridges would not work out either. But I was referring to tonal signature and overall characteristics.

Ah OK. Well, I guess that their philosophy is the same; maximise information recovery through a stiff closed loop, minimising the effects of any unwanted resonances. In my experience, from the original Planar 2 and 3 up to the RP10 that I have in my turntable collection, this Rega have always done very effectively, by avoiding unnecessary damping and instead building their decks and arms light and stiff. While tonally the RP10 is appreciably more resolving than, say, a Planar 3 from the late '80s, their philosophy and also perhaps their general characteristics are similar.

3 Likes

Hi I have a 1980’s Rega Planar 3 which I have just had serviced and updated. I had a new 24v motor upgrade. A new drive belt (ELBT) and the arm rewired. Topped off with a new stylus upgrade to the AT95SH. Sounds absolutely fantastic to my ears and I am extremely pleased with it! Also new bearing fitted and arm tracking and balance adjusted . To be truthful I could probably have got a new RP3 for the cost of all the work, but I love my Rega Planar 3 so couldn’t bear to part with it for the exchange cost. I would certainly say the motor upgrade kit and the new drive belt and stylus are worth doing. I also added a delrin platter a few months ago, which I would also consider. Bought mine via fidelity designs.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.