Vinyl Cleaning Machines

Hi,am now thinking of buying a cleaning machine,all indications seem to be ,for the money,that Project appears a good option,However,which model ? Some say the full size model £429,others say the smaller compact version £329. Has anyone experience of both of these,paying the extra £100 is not a problem,but do I need to ? Apologies in advance if this has been covered before.

1 Like

No you don’t need the larger one, I believe the difference is purely in the size of the case and the collection tank, so only a real benefit if you clean a lot of records at any one time on a regular basis. The cheaper/smaller one takes up less storage space and is easier to move which means you’re ore likely to pull it out to use than the bigger/heavier one

1 Like

Thanks,they’re valid points,assuming they have the same cleaning capability,which is what I need to know,if so,then your right.

Yes, other than the case and tank size they’re identical from a cleaning point of view, the cheaper one apparently has a plastic record clamp too rather than an aluminium one

1 Like

I have the smaller Project one and its brilliant. Cleans very well and easy to store. It does blow air however up under the record, which is a bit of a design faux pas in my view, but I rectified this with a simple mod.

3 Likes

I’ve had both of these. My advice would be not to touch the small one with a barge pole. The exhaust is in the top, under the record. As it warms up, the warm air covers the underside of the record with dirty vapour. Project now supply a 12” plastic disc that you can place under the record to stop the exhaust covering it. So you clean one side of a record, wait ages for it to dry then turn it over and place the clean side on the plastic disc that’s just been in contact with the dirty side. It’s a massive design flaw. I sent mine back and now have the bigger one. It works perfectly. The bigger one also has a nice metal clamp rather than a nasty plastic one on the smaller model.

Spend the £100!

4 Likes

Understood,but that if can be got around,it sounds like it’s the smaller one ! Thanks chaps,just needed to know it cleans vinyl as well as the full size model.

Hi thanks ,was typing my previous answer simultaneously,well that’s complicated things,not sure I like the sound of vapours hitting an already cleaned side,or having to wait whilst everything dries out. As I said ,it’s not about the money,just getting the right machine,plenty to ponder,I usually plump for the buy once and be happy solution,which points me ,I think,towards the full size option. Thanks again guys.

Yes, that’s the one to get - do it right. You really don’t want to spend £329 and immediately have to resort to bits of plastic and sticky tape in order to divert the airflow. The bigger machine is very light and easy to move if you want to put it away somewhere.

2 Likes

I have the bigger ProJect VC-S (series 1.5) and it has been brilliant. Only niggle was the sticky labels that have started to peel off, but I think that has been fixed with the latest mechanise. Well worth buying the hinged clear lid too while you’re about it.

2 Likes

Convinced,ordering as we speak!

I don’t believe there is a lid for the aluminium model, which I imagine is what Lorro1 is getting. It’s what I have anyway. It seems as though the hinged lid only fits the MDF versions.

Correct ,I couldn’t find a lid available for alu model yet,could be available in the future apparently.Have still ordered machine,will order lid when available.Thanks again for advice.

I have the smaller one. It is easier to store. Yes, the vacuum exhaust is not well placed, but I have made a basic deflector. Not ideal, no. But I’ll take the saving over the bigger one.

2 Likes

Hi I have the latest Vcs 2 , the bigger one and I can confirm what has already been said, go for this one. It Is very good and It has to be seen as an investment rather than the 100 more expensive.

1 Like

Another vote for the larger one- excellent on both old and new vinyl. The project cleaning fluid is also very effective. You can find them discounted too - which I did.

1 Like

I bought the big one 3month ago
just perfect

no issue at all and that is what I love

1 Like

Yes another happy user of the larger Project VC-S2-ALU machine. I also have the 7" kit which includes a different size arm and centre clamp and an extra bottle of cleaning solution.
All works a treat.

3 Likes

The little one cleans as well as the big one. No difference in how they clean.

Same here…