Vinyl sibilance - your advice

Is there a power supply (or any other magnetic device including transformers) anywhere close to the turntable. Magnetic fields can play merry hell with cartridges.

1 Like

Yeah that is my feeling as well. I cannot think that this is normal.

This week the dealer will have a look at it.

That is a very good idea and there is a transformer quite close by. At my soonest convenience I am going to try running it with that device completely powered down. Thanks for this very helpful hint.

And without the transformer active it is unchanged, sadly.

From what Iā€™ve read so far this could be an Azimuth issueā€¦
Iā€™ve had similar problems in the pastā€¦i.e. one channel playing up and not the other which turned out to be said Azimuth only slightly out being the issue.
Tase.

1 Like

That could very well be the reason. However I would not expect to have to set this on a Rega tonearm with a Rega cartridge that was designed for it. This would fall into ā€œlet the dealer sort it outā€ category. Cause then something must be bent.

I have been following this thread with interest, I used to suffer with some sibilance and inner groove distortion that was greater than I wanted when I ran my NA turntableā€¦ and I could never get it to where I was totally happy.

In the end I resorted to the safer climbs of digital streamingā€¦ but hope you get it sortedā€¦ i know how frustrating it can be, it was for me.

1 Like

I have most definitely considered this. But I really enjoy the vinyl experience and the sound when this is not happening.

If this is indeed a problem that can be fixed it would be great.

Sounds a lot like VTA, and Azimuth are off. When playing an LP looking from the side is the flat part of the bottom parallel to the record surface? and also while LP plays is the cartridge azimuth correct?

2 Likes

My bet is that the diamond itself is either damaged or mis-profiled

1 Like

Soooo the dealer came by with his Planar 6 also with ANIA and it sounds exactly the same. He even brought another phono stage with.

So as it turns out it is the profile of the ANIA that is not working well with my ears as it seems.

Will be investigating some other cartridges in time.

Did the dealer found sibilance too? Curious if itā€™s an inner coin of the Ania or a matter of taste and different ears?

1 Like

Crikey. It sounds appalling and unacceptable. Suggest you take a look at a Dynavector with a Microline or Shibata stylus. Be sure to get a very good alignment protector as these cartridges needs to be precisely set for good performance. The Mint best tractor is my recommendation. My Dynavector provides a very smooth, subjectively distortion-free performance when set up in this manner.

1 Like

I see there is also a more expensive version of the Ania without the elliptical stylus.

1 Like

Suggest you have a serious think about swapping to an AT33PTG/ii

Would be lovely if your dealer could demo it on your deck, but I suspect the days of cartridge demos are long over.

2 Likes

I know of one person who has the same problem and swapped it for the Ania pro- problem solved.

Bad design of the Ania? I believe they are currently on the mark 2 version.

1 Like

Yes he noted it too. Just said that it is not something that would not bother him but he understands why I would not want it if I am sensitive to it. I know I am rather sensitive to higher pitched sounds so it has to be a combination of that.

Will be trying out some others at some time. Thing is with the Rega arm and a Rega catridge it is neigh impossible to misalign as it attaches with three screws.

Yes the ANIA Pro. The dealer is going to source one and at some time in the near future I will go demo it. Not the kind of cost I am going to accept without knowing it solves the issue. But a number of folks online has noted that it may very well with the vital stylus profile.

Iā€™ll keep that in mind. If the dealer stocks the cartridge I am able to demo.

Yeah the Ania has an elliptical stylus and the Pro uses a similar profile to that used on their Apheta. I am currently thinking the Pro could very well solve it. But gonna wait for a demo before forking the cash.

I think the Ania Pro uses a Vital stylus, I think this is (broadly speaking) an elliptical stylus - albeit a nice one. Iā€™d look for a Microline stylus.

1 Like

I totally support that, I love mine. It might take a bit of searching though, it appears from the AT website that they are no longer available in the UK.

1 Like