Vinyl thoughts

Would you say the NDS or the LP12 sounds better?

The Phono-1 is a fine phono stage. Be sure to pay close attention to the setup advice in the manual regarding cartridge loading, which is a little different to that you’ll find elsewhere. This is something I’ve only done recently, with very pleasing results.

1 Like

Interesting.
I found the HiCap marginally better than Aux2 on my 252 and better again with z foils. If I hadn’t already had a HCDR though I wouldn’t have bought one as the difference wouldn’t have justified the cost. However, the difference between those two options and adding an SCDR is huge. Superline with SCDR is a top quality phono stage but pricey.

Hi @Dunc … I have a Rega P8 now and fully agree with what you are stating …what cartridge do you recommend? I currently use an Ania (not the Ania Pro) but I think there is room for improvement …

The apheta3 is probably the way to go

1 Like

Many thanks for the advice.

1 Like

Well, maybe I should rephrase as original pressing when records were pressed in great numbers.

I preferred Aux2 to HCDR with my SL - the latter made the sound just a bit too ‘hi fi’ for me. Impressive maybe, but just not liveable with. Rather hear music than hi fi fireworks. Luckily I had a Supercap 2 that had been idle so that was taken back from the ‘sell’ pile. Clam-happy with the result: best of both worlds.

Z Foil here too.

1 Like

I think I would have to play the odd track or two on the lp12 to decide as it’s a year or so since I heard it and I have changed my system since.
I’ll get back to you today.
First thoughts: the LP12 has a quite bright sound, not harsh, just a bit edgy. Nevermind the odd click, and background noise from the groove, it’s an enjoyable experience. The NDS is, to my ears, rather laid back and relaxed, with the music more to the foreground. I feel more involved in the listening experience.

1 Like

Urm, never thought that about the LP12, wonder if it’s the AT cartridge?

3 Likes

That was my thought too. However, I need to do more listening with a range of music.

1 Like

It’s a well specified LP12 you have there. I had to change to a better cart, tonearm and phonostage to get my LP12 comparable and now better than the NDS. Just getting those things right cost an extra £4500.

And that’s with a used Ekos 2 and Used Tom Evans The Groove+ SRX power supply.

It sounded a bit dull after Karousel was fitted. It doesn’t now. Linn LP12’s cost a bomb to get sounding decent in my experience.

Looking back maybe I should have just got a Rega Plana 10 and be done with it.

Now I have invested a lot, I will stick with what I have. Don’t be get me wrong, it’s very nice. But there are certainly better value for money alternatives than an LP12.

3 Likes

That’s another £2k I need to spend then!
I was thinking a karousel would do it … perhaps not.

There’s alot of raving about the karousel. I have it and it works with what I have now. But until I changed cart, tonearm and phonostage in one hit I didn’t get any improvement. Dealer suggested changing cart after I said I was a bit diasppointed with Karousel.

Cirkus was fine before. I’m not necessarily best judge but for me it yielded no immediate improvement on what I had at that time.

The problem is when you do 3 upgrades in one hit afterwards you don’t know for certain what has done what! Dealer suggested cart may have been on way out if system sounded slightly off.

I just knew that things weren’t right! So going from MM or HO MC I had to change phonostage to get a decent MC cart which I believe if you are going higher end is way to go.

Anyhow, it’s done and LP12 now sounds superb. Not even thinking about Radikal upgrade now (well it’s on the back burner now for sure).

2 Likes

Maybe a better cart and phono first? If I had to prioritise, then phono first. Then cart, then karoussel.

3 Likes

I would leave it as it is. Ittok is better than my Akito tonearm which I had before. You have Lingo 2 and Cirkus bearing. Just change the cart when it gives up. Which is new will be a long time the rate you’re playing records!

I must admit I have gone from playing my LP12 maybe a few times a week to pretty much every day and sometimes for 5 or 6 hours an evening.

It now sounds better than NDS. I am buying more vinyl and listening to more of my system in general. But alot of that is down to new power amp too.

3 Likes

What’s your phono stage?

There is a school of thought about getting Karousel and Radikal done before tonearm, cart and phonostage. I reckon if you have Cirkus then maybe the tonearm, cart and phonostage could make more of a difference.

Maybe I am wrong, but a Lingo should be a pretty good power supply and was used when Ekos SE came out and the Keel. Back then getting the Keel and Ekos SE was seen as the must have upgrade. Now it’s the Karousel and Radikal 2.

2 Likes

Like you Dan I have the Radikal 1 on my LP12 Klimax 40th anniversary

I’m in no hurry to go Radikal 2 if ever - one often wonders how much of an improvement in percentage terms these upgrades give.

1 Like

Only a Lingo 1 for me Bevo. The Radikal is on my list, however, I am very happy with my LP12 right now.

I bet before the Radikal came out LP12 owners didn’t feel it was lacking with Lingo 2 or 3.