Vinyl vs Digital

The presentation is pseudoscience (in that the linkages between science and the effects are conjecture) and the statements are pseudoreasoning (in that they are contradicted later in the piece). In any case, enjoyment of music is subjective, and for me it is the enjoyment of music that is important.

What were you expecting?

…I guess I was expecting the arguments to be summarily dismissed, nor to be given credence.

Once it was clear that he didn’t know the difference between singular and plural - media and medium - all credibility was lost!

1 Like

Medium and media?

Shot myself in the foot there - should have been more careful!

2 Likes

Thanks. I’m sure we are not alone in this!

It doesn’t sound the same! Good is another matter to me vinyl sounds infuriating, pops, crackles, bad bass. CD has none of those.

1 Like

By its very nature and technical drawbacks analogue cannot reproduce analogue accurately, that is the whole point of the video.

1 Like

Interesting. Thinking about this, my conclusion, based on physics and reasoning, is:

1. Due to the extremely tight tolerances, analogue cannot reproduce analogue with 100% accuracy;
  2. Digital cannot reproduce analogue 100% accurately. This is in both conceptual and practical domains.

But digital gets much closer

…perhaps it does, perhaps it doesn’t,
For many of us, there is something lost with digital. Involvement, realism, call it what you want. What ever it is, it is not measurable in numerical terms.

1 Like

There are lots of things lost as you say, realism is interesting because most of us listen to studio produced music that is only realistic of studio produced music. One audio reviewer recently asked “which type of fake do you want”. We can have analogue fake, digital fake, tube fake or solid state fake, I have digital hybrid R2R fake. We don’t have bands or orchestras in our lounge rooms it is all faked. Pick the fake you like.

4 Likes

Good point(s)!
It’s about time the D v V debate passed into history…and we explicitly express our preference as nothing other than just that.

1 Like

My £0.02 is this:

I listen to streamed digital for convenience. I can leave long playlists on when I am working etc. I can choose from anything I like. And it sounds good enough that I am not constantly picking out flaws (if there are any).

I prefer the sound of vinyl on my system though. I also much prefer the drama, tactility, artwork etc. The looking through the collection to find the one you want. The commitment to an album rather than a track, in order, with no skipping.

This is why I never really got into CDs. All the downside of vinyl (storage, having to swap them out when you are done listening etc) and all the downside of digital (not tactile, can sound overly analytical etc).

When all is said and done, I think you have to take into account fun. If you find it fun then that last 0.01% of fidelity doesn’t matter.

9 Likes

A bit like watches. For accuracy and fancy extras, a digital watch wins over a mechanical one. I like having mechanical watches - they are reasonably accurate (though not as accurate as digital) but there is something nice about having a mechanical thing working away to tell the time.
For music, I want something as near to what was recorded as possible - so I only have digital. More dynamic range, more real bass, no intrusive noise, much better all round. I do miss the album covers but not enough to stay with vinyl.

1 Like

sorry if thats your experience with vinly some album tracks have a slight pop, but Bad bass NO nothing could be further from the truth certainly not on my deck (in my BIO)

1 Like

I think a large part of this is myth. When I had vinyl I listened to whole albums agd sometimes just selected tracks. Nothing changed when I moved to CD. Nothing has changed since moving to streaming.

The change is the person not the medium. The medium might allow the change but ultimately what you listen to is about your own choices.

I used to play albums all the way through but if, after a few plays, there were specific tracks I hated then up came the needle. With CD I couldn’t be arsed with the programming to do that so was actually more likely to listen to who;e albums regardless. Streaming makes it easy again but just because I can doesn’t mean I should.

Last night we listened to 5 hours of music - all albums agd all played through - on our streamer/server.

It’s not the medium.

3 Likes

Ditto. It seemed a good idea at the time, but never used…

For me it’s vinyl. Without doubt. Specially if you listen to classic albums, jazz or rock, from the 60’s or 70’s.
They sound nowhere near as good on digital.

However I need both, as nowadays recordings are digital. They sound similar on both to me, so prefer the digital format for convenience.

1 Like