Vitus integrated amp v 552/500

That is actually what I just did :laughing:
I have one inbound from Denmark while I wait for my 552/500 to return from recap and DR. When they come back the Nait 2 will make its way over to Chris West for recap.

On a side note Mr Bluesfan both you and Duncan cost me additional funds. Bartok is going back and a Rossini and Master Clock (the clock is your fault) is now inbound.

The Linn KDS will be moved to the separate headphone system provided the Rossini/Clock can give it a proper thrashing. I expect it can as the Bartok put up a nice fight vs. the Linn.

Best
Gregg

5 Likes

Congrats Dan5 on the new Aavik :+1: I have heard the previous U-300 a few times to really good effect. My local Naim dealer also stocks Aavik and there is definitely a lot of similarities thereā€¦
Not surprised that you are moving on from the 552/500 for the U-380- double the power in one sleek case. I really like the Aavik design , although I wish they would not incorporate the logo to such a large extent in the casework. Small quibble I suppose.
As some previous threads have commented on, I was also at a point were reduction of box count and simplification was very attractive. I ultimately chose a Vitus SIA 030 as my solution and am quite pleased with the result. Different sound than Naim-yes. Less musical, less engaging-no. The music is presented differently. I can say that the 030 goes deeper with better tone than my 552/500. It absolutely has complete control of my Titan 808ā€™s. Top end is fluid without any grittiness which the Naim had at higher volumes. The midrange is where the Naim rules the day but this is less and less an issue as I have had the 030 for a few months now and have a new point of referenceā€¦ I can say that the improved soundstage, depth and fuller body given to the music presentation is very appealing.
ATB,
Mark

7 Likes

Listen to the 030 Duncā€¦

The U380 costs more than Ā£30,000 retail? Did I get that right? An integrated amp that costs that amount of money must be something special. It doesnā€™t look too pretty though.

1 Like

The top of the range Vitus Class A integrated looks very tempting indeed and remains to be an item in my bucket list. I understand the price is close to the 500 series separates 552/500 if not higher.

The only negative of the amp, for me, is its weight. It is too heavy and will require two persons to carry it.

1 Like

If all goes well, and the more i read it, looks more likely the 25 will top my 500 series kit. If it does then the 25 will be it and not the 30.
Not saying the 30 is out for ever, but for now it is, as like i said its a free upgrade against the 500/552.

Anyway i have got to like the vitus first, as i have been a naimie for a very long time, with complete naim systems, its only been the last year that things have changed, and this could be the end.

1 Like

The sia 30 is Ā£31k in the uk right now, but looks like it might be going up to Ā£36k soon.
The sia 25 is Ā£19k, the 500 and 552 are over Ā£40k

1 Like

I thought you were joking at firstā€¦that would put me off too.

1 Like

See if you can get a long home demo, or at least stay in the shop for several hours, just listening to stuff you really love. Some aspects of the Vitus are very beguiling, but you may find they wear thin. Havenā€™t heard the latest ones, though. Much of it will of course depend on your musical tastes and what youā€™re looking for, as well as how often you go to live performances, especially of jazz and classical, or play an instrument yourself.

1 Like

Didnt know you had one coming, to try or keep?
Will also be interesting how you get on

1 Like

Its coming home and can have it for afew weeks to try, so should be long enough.
I play all sorts of music, but no classical or heavy rock, but everything

2 Likes

Brilliant. I look forward to hearing how you get on with it.

1 Like

I believe the vitus should sound more real, more neutral and more like the real thing, naim does have a more forward in your face sound, that does pull you in and involve you more, well thats what i have come to think anyway and could be well wrong.
If i dont like it then i will certainly not be swapping, as i am happy with it and this started off as a prove it more than i want to upgrade, if you see what i mean

2 Likes

heard a Vitus amp once, but wasnā€™t what I was looking for.

yes it is tempting to think that if one can move away from Naim sources, so why not the amp, but thatā€™s not how it worked out for me, I am still with Naim amps, and if I had to do it all over again, I would still buy Naim amplifiers.

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with being curious Dunc.

Cheers, Rack.

2 Likes

Probably not the best thread for this guys but how do companies like Naim or Vitus create a certain ā€œsoundā€

Is it the parts selection that dictates the sound it reproduces?

How does Naim create a product that keeps the known ā€œassociated soundā€ throughout a range.

1 Like

Thanks for the prices. Itā€™s surely in the realm of high end. If I interpret it correctly, you would be trying the SIA 025 soon. Would appreciate your thoughts on the comparison between the Vitus SIA 025 and 552/500 once you have completed the listening.

1 Like

Yes the dealer is bringing me a sia 025 to try, also some stillpoints to sit it on, a better cable to run between the melco and rossini and a xlr to xlr cable to run balanced.
Should be an interesting demo

3 Likes

I friend of mine has the Vitus R1 with Melco and Avalon speakers itā€™s one of the finest 3 box systems I have ever heard, if I was thinking of moving (and Iā€™m not) Vitus is one hell of a musical box

3 Likes

Hi Dunc,

Can I ask what speakers you will be using with the Vitus amp?

I have heard Vitus amps a number of times and they are better in some areaā€™s, they seem to have a greater dynamic range, they are more powerful and power hungry amps will love them for this. However IMO, they lost something in comparison with the Naims, I wasnā€™t as involved with the music and thats where the choice of speaker does into it.

Used with an efficient pair of speakers they sound bored and underused, a more demanding pair of speakers like Martin speakers got more out of them which I guess is where Anthony is coming from.

Regards

PB

2 Likes