Volume nob blinking green light Nait 5si

I was using my Naim Nait 5si the other night, it was on fairly quiet and a mix of records, cd’s and digital music playing. From nowhere whilst playing a CD the amp just stopped. I didn’t notice it at first but when inspecting it I saw the volume nob LED was slowly blinking green. I’ve turned it on/off multiple times, left it a few days too but still the problem persists, that is, blinking lights and zero output on any channel.

I saw in a previous thread somewhere on here that it is likely a downed IC-

> If the unit is showing no signs of overheating & you aren’t running some really odd cables, this fault is usually caused by a faulty protection opto-coupler (common to S/Nait & Nait5i).*
> It’s a 16 pin IC that sits in the centre of the amp stage. Easier to replace in a N5i than SN2, but not for the faint hearted.
> A competent dealer should be able to sort it for you.

So, the question is, what 16 pin IC do I need, and where is it located on the board? Part of my job is to fix faulty phono amps which usually means replacing 8 pin IC’s but I have done a few 16 pins too. I’m able to do the job, just need to know what and where!

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete, please note forum rules with regard to DIY repairs etc…

Was the amp overheating? If it was hot check that the speaker cabling was not unsuitable and that it wasn’t shorting anywhere. Otherwise, check that the speakers aren’t presenting an onerous load on the amp. Beyond that, the only other advice I can offer you is to contact your Naim dealer for investigation and repair.

The volume knob LED flashing is not a protection indication, it means the amp is muted.
Use the remote (in Pre mode) to unmute using the mute button.

Regards
Neil.

7 Likes

Phew, thanks, turns out it was just on mute…what a plonker I am!

I’m sure as hell I didn’t press the mute button though as the remote was on the table…mind, many beers later on the offending night I may have been mistaken.

Thanks for sorting it, much appreciated

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

RTFM :wink: :+1:t2:

1 Like