vTuner alternative?

Audials is an excellent radio database & streaming system

That’s not an option for Naim streamers. It’s vTuner or nothing.

Some other streamers use TuneIn (not Naim) which is good also.

Ultimately you are lumped with either using what the streamer supports or doing it via AirPlay/Chrome Cast from your phone or resorting to a computer in the living room which many hate.

No BBC radio available on there?

Well spotted! A surprising omission.

I use Lyrion (LMS) so can avoid most of the negatives with vTuner or TuneIn.

At least Audials explain why the BBC isn’t available :blush:

In UK, TuneIn is restricted to UK services so no Radio Paradise etc.

great news
Martin

stopped paying for that garbage years ago, other options are available
Martin

If you mean LMS, then you’re evidently unaware that it’s open source and free… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If you mean BBC radio, then that’s also free. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I have a Linn Selekt which uses TuneIn and live in the UK. Listen to Jazz24 from Seattle most of the time, no issues with overseas radio stations.

DG…

Interesting, TuneIn on my car and iPhone show Radio Paradise as not available in my region (even though I can get it directly through its own app).

I pick up Radio Paradise (California) with no issues via airable on my Linn DSM Selekt. Similarly no problems with any other stations I listen to including BBC stations.

It’s a bit hit and miss. My TEAC streamer with TuneIn was able to pick up regional BBC radio from the UK but not the main 4 stations whereas my Naim streamers could do both (I’m in Japan). Then a few months in, BBC streams via the API in the streamers all stopped. But I could still pick up those BBC stations from the TuneIn app.

Then at the same time there was the BBC debacle for vTuner users, InTune also lost even app access to BBC stations outside of the UK. Then around the same day Naim annunced vTuner had restored BBC service via the API for hardware streamers, I also got back regional BBC radio on InTune. But 24hrs later, that broke again.

Now in Japan, InTune seems to have an issue that looks like a major licensing problem because it can receive a huge number of regional stations globally (more than vTuner), but not any major stations, InTune cannot even get major domestic Japanese stations - only private radio shacks. Which is okay because some of the best stations are small and regional. But it seems like if you want major stations, vTuner is better. If you want the others, InTune.

While web radio is technologically fine. From a service delivery perspective compared to FM, it’s a huge fail. Overlapping services and API aggregators. Service disruptions due to API versus app business models. User login and list building (TuneIn seems to need that where vTuner doesn’t). I often feel like, FFS, It’s radio. it shouldn’t be this complex for the user. The fact neither my Naim system or TEAC system can get the same stations at all is a sorry statement about how this web radio free for all is a total s%%% show.

1 Like

On my Linn DSM I had to use the URL added as a Playlist on my NAS drive with Asset.
Otherwise, Radio Paradise wasn’t available in my region (UK).
Unless something has changed recently?

Radio Paradise has been available in the UK for many years. Is this a limitation of whatever service you were using on the Linn streamer?

Don’t see the DSM mentioned in your profile so I assume that you have replaced it with other equipment. I am relatively new to Linn DSM and so it may have changed recently. IIRC I just set up the Linn account, linked it with the inbuilt “airable” tuner and had access to all radio stations I expected. The inbuilt search function on “airable” seems to find everything I’m looking for or have looked for. Hi-def radio stations are played in hi-def if that is important. I’ve “pinned” a few favourites on the DSM so tuning in and listening is a simple tap of a button, even if system is in standby mode.
Note Linn also provides access to TuneIn but personally I have found “airable” to be very good and it meets my needs perfectly well.

1 Like

Airable certainly looks like a quality aggregator (from its website).

Airable seems to be always up and running.

Haven’t had any issues regarding stations worldwide here in Canada.

For those having location issues, have you tried a VPN?

Something like SmartDNS Proxy is a better way around geoblocking. VPNs incurr latency and throughput issues - not a problem at all for web radio but still, a lot of needless overhead. SmartDNS just makes the reverse lookup of your ISP provided dynamic domain point to something else that geoblockers struggle to locate.

Even so, I refuse to do this on the grounds it shouldn’t be this complex. It’s dead easy for me, but I don’t want to implement anything the rest of the house can’t use with their eyes closed.

2 Likes