vTuner alternative?

Airable certainly looks like a quality aggregator (from its website).

Airable seems to be always up and running.

Haven’t had any issues regarding stations worldwide here in Canada.

For those having location issues, have you tried a VPN?

Something like SmartDNS Proxy is a better way around geoblocking. VPNs incurr latency and throughput issues - not a problem at all for web radio but still, a lot of needless overhead. SmartDNS just makes the reverse lookup of your ISP provided dynamic domain point to something else that geoblockers struggle to locate.

Even so, I refuse to do this on the grounds it shouldn’t be this complex. It’s dead easy for me, but I don’t want to implement anything the rest of the house can’t use with their eyes closed.

2 Likes

The issue with those is that last I checked (about a year ago) none of them seemed to support IPv6.

It does now. It’s recommended in fact.

My main issue with it was that HD Tracks geoblocking mechanism changed and got real aggressive. Now it looks at your timezone and credit card too. So even VPN to my VM in California no longer works.

1 Like

Possibly down to whatever service I’m using but I’ve no idea what service I was using as it’s years ago. I’m not currently at home so can’t check either.

The Linn DSM is part of a multiroom setup not part of my main system, hence it’s not listed.

1 Like

The following is a direct quote from the TuneIn website. Which, to me, sums up why web radio in general is rubbish.

When the BBC makes its stations available on platforms such as ours, it asks that we have the listener sign into a BBC account to listen or for us to share data directly with them about what you listen to. Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate these requests at this time.

There ARE better alternatives for TuneOut :yum::notes:

I wonder how that works with Naim then… I have opted out of all data sharing, and do not possess a BBC account. Yet I can listen to the BBC.

@Stevesky Is this something you could shed a light on? Thank you.

But we will irritate the heck out of you with ridiculous pre-roll adverts…

No thanks :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Radio Paradise available on my Selekt DSM via Airable as it was on my previous KDSM. I’m in the UK.

Roger

Well that’s the problem, on a streamer you have the one option they give you. Or you can cast to the atreamer or link it to a computer to do what you want… Which defeats the point of radio as a accessible medium.

Old analogue broadcast didn’t give you a lot of choice. But it was hard to find something simpler than turn on and turn a dial. Literally no one on the planet could not use a old “wireless”.

Now it is all considerations about which aggregator service you use; which app; do you need a VPN or not; do you need to log in; do you need to do airplay or cast; do you need to bolt on a PC to work around limitations of the streamer etc etc.

I use web radio via vTuner and TuneIn daily. But as someone who works in IT and sees the constant failure of use case applications to deliver benefit matching hyperbolic hype, I strongly feel that web radio still is missing the “special sauce”… and maybe someone also forgot the eggs and baking powder too.

4 Likes

I’ll have to check and see if my DSM has Airable, it doesn’t ring any bells though…

You may need to add it in Manage Systems, but I’d be very surprised if you can’t get it.

Roger

1 Like

@PeakMan I’m now back at home and I can’t find Airable anywhere in my Linn system settings etc.
My Linn is a Sekrit DSM so any pointers as to where and how I might be able to activate or add Airable would be appreciated.

I have just managed to find the Airable content via the web interface under the “Music” tab and then “Radio Presets Provider” with a drop-down to switch between Tune-in and Airable.
I guess my nest step is to sign up for Airable.

Mine was set up when my dealer installed it. But if it’s not enabled I’d go to the Explore tab in the app. Top right there’s a gear wheel. Tap this and you should get a list of possible sources including a section labelled Internet Radio. Top item in this list should be Airable and moving the slider next to this to the right should make Airable appear when you return to the Explore tab. That’s how it works for me, at least.

Roger

Thanks Roger, out of interest, which [Linn] app are you using?

The Linn app on an iPad. Not Kazoo.

Roger

1 Like