Warped vinyl

From Wikipedia, “Glass fiber has roughly comparable mechanical properties to other fibers such as polymers and carbon fiber. Although not as rigid as carbon fiber, it is much cheaper and significantly less brittle when used in composites”

I’m sure Clearaudio chose carbon fiber for it’s rigidity, which can be controlled and tuned by how the layup is done. Formula 1 has made extensive use of it for that reason.

I’ve never heard of a glass fibre tone arm, wood, metal and carbon fibre but not glass fibre. There were glass fibre arrows so maybe Naim tried it before picking the aluminium alloy ones.

I was particularly interested in this thread. I rarely used to have a problem with warped vinyl - even though some examples bought in the 90s were very thin! There is a trend towards heavy 180g vinyl these days , but I have noted that many come tightly wrapped in a sealed clear plastic cellophane sleeving. I have noted on a couple of occasions this is so tight as to cause the record to ‘dish’ / warp after unwrapping when placed on the platter. We never used to get records like this! My cure is to simply stack them vertically on the shelf with my other LPs reasonable tightly packed and leave like this for a few months. Usually this sorts the problem - not completely but certainly enough to make them playable!..very annoying having to wait to play them though!
…Would be interested in other home remedies to sort this quickly!

I do not believe there is any such thing as a glass fiber tonearm, at least none that I am aware of.

The suspension for my gravel bicycle’s front carbon fork is a set of 12 glass fiber springs.

Why oh why did they not do that with the solstice? Grrr

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.