Weird accidental upgrade

I thought I’d post this though what conclusions anyone will draw I have no idea, because I don’t understand it myself, so here goes.

I store a lot of music on a NAS (it’s a WD, I know some of you hate them, but that’s not the point of this post), which sat on a shelf in the study, where I have a Uniti 2 based system. Until Monday it was directly ethernet connected.

Under pressure from the Good Lady Wife, I have relocated the NAS, along with an Apple Time Capsule, to an upstairs cupboard (saves space, looks neater, and no more audible rattle and hum from the drives), and this is now networked to the Uniti 2 and my other systems by Devolo Internet over mains boxes.

I’d expected a minor downgrade to sound quality to be the price of marital harmony, but bizarrely it seems better. Imaging is stronger and bass is cleaner and deeper. This really shouldn’t be the case, surely? Still, I’m very happy with it, and so is the Mrs! Just thought I’d share it with you all.

If it was positioned too close to the Uniti, then the electrical interference from the NAS would be interfering with the Uniti.

If it was on the same shelf as the Uniti, then the mechanical vibration from the NAS would also be interfering with the Uniti.

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts Xanthe. The NAS was circa 4m from the Uniti (long cable!), so it really shouldn’t have been an issue. As I say, I’m a bit mystified, but very happy!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.