Weird Speaker Cone movement

Hi to all! Lately I have noticed my left channel speakers are having excessive cone movement. I’ve noticed this only when I swapped my Harbeth P3ESR to C7ES2 and removed the grills.

Not much effect on sound though it seems like it’s breathing regardless of volume level.

I have tried the following:

• removing the HICAP & NAPSC on the NAC202 to feed directly to NAP200 and still it is the same. Only the left channel is behaving wildly.
  • different speakers and still the same, so much more to more efficient Harbeth C7ES2.
  • shifting speaker cables but it’s still the same channel.
  • Muting the NAC202, still the same.
  • Switching off the NAC202 with only the NAP200 on will eliminate the problem.

I’m afraid it is with the NAC202 or the interconnects but I have no replacement interconnects to try on and I am very far from our authorized dealer here in the Philippines.

I’m afraid I will damage the speakers soon. So I connected an old Celestion SL6 and I seldom use my system now because of this issue.

I guess there was same issue posted before but way back Dec2018 by Jovippang https://forums.naimaudio.com/topic.php?oid=78019131034781487&coid=159503632588890 but there was no final solution in the forum.

I hope that somebody had encountered and had solved this issue or anybody have any idea.

Thanks for any help.

Please clarify:

“shifting speaker cables but its still the same channel”: do you mean you swapped the cables over at one end only, and it is still the same speaker? Or still the same amp channel (the other speaker)? Or did you exchange two two cables.

Regardless, it sounds to me like a fault with the preamp. I assume from your description that the movement is the same amount regardless of volume control setting?
Can you hear any audible difference between channels at either low volume or whatever is loudest you play? If yes and no to these two questions then I very much doubt it is likely to Damage the speakers, but of course I cannot guarantee that.

I swapped at the amp’s end. It is still the same Amp channel. Thanks for the reply. Hope you can help.

It sounds to me like a fault with the preamp. I assume from your description that the movement is the same amount regardless of volume control setting?
Can you hear any audible difference between channels at either low volume or whatever is loudest you play? If yes and no to these two questions then I very much doubt it is likely to Damage the speakers, but of course I cannot guarantee that.

Yes, the movement is the same regardless of volume setting. I can hear a light thump when it moves heavily but only when you are about 6 inches from the speaker.

At the first minutes of playing, there is nothing like this.

Seems to reinforce the thought that electronics at fault:

Hoping others have had the same experience and could suggest or help.

Does it happen with all sources? What are your sources?

Yes. I have tried with CD5X cd player & mac mini/ dacV1 combo. It’s the same.

It sounds like it could be the amp. I’m no expert though. Perhaps @NeilS has an idea here if it’s possibly the amp causing the issue.

I have diassembled everything & reconnected to maybe solve some loose connection issues. But still it’s there after maybe 2tracks.

It definitely sounds like a decoupling capacitor is passing some DC somewhere.
Does the system do this while sat idle with no input signal? If so, I would connect the speakers to the 200 with the input disconnected & leave it for a while, if the issue doesn’t occur, then the problem is likely with the 202.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

Thanks. I will try that later and feed you back.

1 Like

Hi Neil,

Tried it without input connections to the NAP200 for an hour and it’s fine. The weird speaker movements are not there. So I guess the culprit is either the NAC202 or the DIN Interconnect. But how do I get to check this. Hoping for some suggestions.

Thanks.

Sorry to hear of your issue Booby, whilst you could try connecting it up to a different amp, even if you had one to try it with I don’t think that this would tell you much that you don’t already know from your NAP200 which you suggest is stable without the NAC202 connected.

It probably gets more difficult after this. I would try temporarily grounding all of the inputs of the NAC202 and see if this settles the issue, but then I would be taking my scope to the outputs of the 202 to view the waveform at the output of the pre. and tracing the strange signal back, but thats just me!

As I say we are getting into detailed diagnostics and if it were relatively new I would be taking to the dealer.

Actually I bought this system used in Saudi Arabia and brought here to Philippines. My place here is far from the authorized dealer that I need to ship it for repair.
Still I’m not yet sure if it’s the NAC202 or the interconnect.

Today, I tried using the DAC-V1 as the preamp directly to the NAP200. Everything is fine. No weird speaker movement. Problem only is I can’t use my CD5X with this setup. Instead now I’m using my Marantz CD6004 with digital out to the digital in of the DAC-V1.
Another problem is how do I connect my VPI Traveler TT to my DAC-V1.

Suggestions will be much appreciated.

The DAC-V1, being a DAC, only has digital inputs. If you wanted to use it like you would a pre-amp with an analogue source such as a turntable and phono stage then you would need an A-D convertor. Some phono stages have digital outputs, which, if s/pdif, you could connect to the DAC-V1.

Both Rega and Project offer reasonably economical phono preamps with digital outputs.

I have tried the Rega Fono mini into a computer and that worked but I have no experience with running such devices into the V1 DAC

Given that it appears to be tge preamp at fault (and I really cannot see how a cable could create the issue, whereas I can see it being electronics, have you tried contacting Naim’s service department for advice, pointing out your location and complete remoteness from original dealer? If not, it can’t do any harm.

I’d stop using and testing It if I were you. You don’t know what’s happening. You could be overworking a voice coil without realising. Even though sound levels aren’t high the voice coil is clearly being driven more than it should. :+1:t2: