WH Phantom

Just spent all afternoon striping down system out with the Chord Odyssey 2 and in with 2 4.5mtr lengths of Witch Hat Phantom.
Flexible is not the word and the finish appears well above it’s price point, initial impressions are good even on the first play, bass is more defined and less woolly, individual instruments are easier to place and the soundstage appears wider and more lifelike.
Just need to let them burn in for a couple of weeks but already a very happy bunny.

4 Likes

A very interesting and tempting thread with some nice straightforward commentary and inputs. Do any of you converts know which termination I should ask for at the 250DR end? Banana plugs seem to be the only suitable offering on their website.

If you look at the N2 page, Naim plugs are offered. I had two lengths of N2 cable made up with bananas one end and Naim the other during the lockdown. I suspect that if you ask, they’ll accommodate you.

I was told by Witch Hat that Naim plugs were only required on NACA5 due to its stiffness. I’m using their normal banana plugs and they are fine. Save the extra charge.

5 Likes

They are probably right. They made a mistake with my cables and had the Naim plugs incorrectly wired meaning they were out of phase. Quickly returned and corrected, but it wouldn’t have been a problem with bananas. Really pleased with my cables though.

Thanks Fifty-Fifty and John. I’ll give them a call and see what their latest view/availability is. The malleability of these cables is a distinct bonus - NAC A5 and my ham-fistedness totally stuffed up my first shoebox poweramp terminals…

1 Like

So the guys at WH said length is operated ; )
Have ordered a set lets see if its all hype or not.

Suppose will stop going SL or Sarum.

I’ve placed an order with Witch Hat for the Phantom to replace my NAC A5, I hope you guys are right! :smile:

2 Likes

Just a super cable. You will not be disappointed at all. :grinning:

6 Likes

You won’t be disappointed with the Phantom I purchased a set when they first released the cable and never looked back.

9 Likes

I should have never doubted you! From the off they sound beautiful! I’m very happy so far! :smiley:

2 Likes

I also purchased some when they were first released, I had some tellurium black before (still got them and have swapped over a couple of times just to check), and they were never quite right on a narrow frequency range where a female voice or electric guitar would produce an uncomfortable resonance.
Once the Phantoms were warmed up after a few hours I’ve not wanted to change anything. I have also got the Pre to Power amp link and digital link from CD to the 272, all of which, were an improvement.

3 Likes

Has anyone tried the WH Phantom on non-Naim amps and compared them with other alternatives. Does the Phantom punch above their weight and compare favourably with speaker cables costing multiple times more such as Chord Signature XL or Tellurium Ultra Diamond etc. to name a few.

2 Likes

Yes ! Good from the start

The Phantoms I ordered, arrived today. More or less 5 weeks delivery but good communications by supplier.

I installed the Phantoms (2 x 4.5m) to replace NACA5. The cables have a clear mark indicating which end to connect to the speaker and which end to the amplifier. The cable give a very qualitative impression and they are also very flexible. I like the shielding as well.

The Phantoms sound spot on from the beginning. Very open, very rhythmic and I hear improvements in bettered 3D imaging and placing from the start. there is so much “air and space” in the sound. I like that.

The cables are a definite improvement over my NACA5. You know, I read a lot of groundbreaking, huge improvement, huge uplift messages on the forum when people upgrade cables or switches in their system. I always think: why isn’t that with me? The change of the Phantom over the NACA5 is bettered but subtle. Nothing more, nothing less. I believe though these little and subtle changes - especially adding them up over various tweaks - make a difference and do make the sound more enjoyable. Therefor I definitely recommend the Phantoms !

One update though that I recently made was more than “subtle”: when I changed the standard XLR-DIN connectors onto a mono-pair Morgana XLR-Din I did hear a substantial change.

Cheers
Iver

8 Likes

Agree. My Phantoms are finally in situ after their rather eventful 6000 mile journey. My initial impressions are similar: every bit as musical as NACA5 but a tad more refined & cultured.

A bit like sending your NACA5 off for a term at an expensive Swiss finishing school. Plus I’m much less likely to trip over them in the dark.

3 Likes

Chaps @IvdZ which way does this point, assume towards the speaker?

1 Like

I would assume the same. Is the other end the same ?

Hi @obsydian, yes that’s correct. On my Phantom cables it is also clearly indicated (“speakers”, “amp”) on the black and red banana connectors. Iver

As above it is marked on the bananas

Can’t believe I missed that, thank you all

1 Like