What are schools teaching our children?

In a rotating frame of reference, it most certainly does!

Mark

Let’s stay away from politics and religion here please. Thanks.

Best not post what I wanted to say… just in case

Absolutely! My mistake for focussing on the demands of A-level Physics where more limited explanations are expected.
ATB
Ian

1 Like

Bring back compulsory Greek and Latin and all will be well.

After all, I see no reason why I had to suffer the dreary elegiac poetry of Tibullus or Thucydides’ Peloponnesian War Book VII while succeeding generations get away scot-free. Plus, a lot of the Classics is pure unadulterated filth (eg Aristophanes, Petronius), which, as we know, young people tend to enjoy.

4 Likes

Cibum est en mensa. Caecilius est in domus

Romanes eunt domus

1 Like

Romans they go the 'ouse?

3 Likes

Timeo technocrati et dona ferentes.

1 Like

Didn’t know Kev was born in the Aegean! :wink:

2 Likes

Omnia mea Latina ab Asterix didici.

Ave Marcusginandtonicus et omnes that.

Romani cruenta.

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra?

1 Like

Depends. Are we talking Republic or Imperial?

1 Like

I only got an E in my A-Level Latin but ye gods, I can see there’s some egregious mangling going on here…

1 Like

Quibbles!

A planet is just a big lump of mass that’s not big enough yet to have the pressures at its centre required to trigger nuclear fusion.

I was also taught there is no such thing. That it is shorthand for inertia’s affect on angular momemtum.

The Wikipedia page on forces seems to agree with this listing Centripedal as a non fundamental force. That is, the consequence of a combination of the four fundamental forces.

Xanthe,

Obviously I am grateful for the more tolerant society we live in and nobody wants to see a return to the racism, sexism and homophobia etc of the 1970’s and 1980’s.

I think you are right, the focus on tolerance in schools has probably helped here but some of it is also the fact that society generally has changed and become tolerant (parents, workplaces, employment and government policies etc).

The sad thing is that while my Daughter’s generation are much more accepting of people’s race, sexual orientation and gender than those that came before, they are the most judgemental generation in history to those who so not wear the ‘right’ trainers or designer brands. There’s far too much status given to looks nowadays and it seems to me that they have merely replaced one form of discrimination for another.

Personally I long for the day when we put all our differences aside and co-exist and live as one in a culture that is entirely tolerant and supportive - a sort of Gene Roddenbery-esque Federation!

Jonathan

4 Likes

Geeks, rather than Greeks!

(On the other hand he (I assume he) may have been born in the sea somewhere between Greece and Turkey - I don’t know, but I think it unlikely! :rofl:)

1 Like

:rofl:

Latin was never my strong point, especially as we weren’t taught it!

Just goes to show how unobservant I was after a glass or two last night - the first hit on my Google search was for the other phrase which I didn’t notice at the time!

This might help:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/corf.html#cent

Centripetal and centrifugal are merely adjectives that denote direction (namely towards and away from the centre, respectively). Any force can be a centrifugal force - weight, electrostatic, tension etc.

In an inertial frame of reference, circular motion requires a centripetal force. However, if you reformulate the situation in the rotating (non-inertial) frame of reference, a centrifugal term appears in its place.

Alternatively:

Mark

7 Likes

No politics here please, otherwise the thread won’t last much longer. Thanks.