What are you listening to in 2020 and WHY might anyone be interested?

Jim Tomlinson with Stacey Kent (Mrs. JT) - The Lyric on CD from 2005, re-released c.2011.

Classic jazz/easy listening numbers for an early Monday morning, with plenty of Stacey’s wonderful vocals to the fore.

BBC jazz album of the year in 2006 per some blurb I’ve read.

4 Likes

1st run bought on eclassical last week in the daily deal…

6 Likes

The Alan Parsons Project, The Turn Of A Friendly Card, download

and then another TAPP album. Also very good. Nuff said.

12 Likes

Chick Corea - Light as a Feather

While I was lying in bed trying not too successfully to sleep last night, I decided I was going to play The Who Live at Leeds this morning. How did I end up with this instead?! BTW it sounds rather dated now, but it was released some 48 years ago.

6 Likes

Alvin Youngblood Hart - Down In The Alley
Starting the day with some excellent solo acoustic blues.

8 Likes

Patricia Barber - Modern Cool, on Blue Note issued CD from c.1998

PB’s jazzy/smoky delivery always captures my ear, as do the very high quality backings & arrangements - especially, as this CD is instrumental in large parts.

There’s some serious bass going on here and the quality of the musicianship & recording drips from this CD.

8 Likes

10 Likes

The story of Jamaican music. Final disc covers 1982-1993 . Brilliant

7 Likes

new vinyl at the weekend - Simply Red Picture book very good remaster

and this is brillant remastered 180 grm Peter Gabriel - Secret world live tour from 1993 following the release of US album - PG has done it again the recording quality on vinyl is outstanding - as with ALL of the vinyl I own from PG - from his first album to the latest releases -

9 Likes

Chris Thomas King - Me, My Guitar and The Blues
Chris sings and plays all the instruments on this fine blues album.

7 Likes

Started listening to this as it appeared on Qobuz.
Interesting and very relaxing listen.

4 Likes

Lisa Mills - Live At Catt’s Brown Bag
A lunchtime concert from 2011, it’s just Lisa and her Archtop “Evangeline” playing Blues live at Catt’s Brown Bag. Intimate concert with beautiful and emotional vocals and stunning guitar playing, she has a great rapport with the audience, this lady is a star.

8 Likes

Or “designed by a computer, built by a robot, driven by a moron”…

The Pretty Things - Bare As Bone, Bright As Blood
This album is entirely acoustic and was recorded just before Phil’s death on the 5th May 2020, it’s full of gritty, acoustic blues/roots music and is a fine epitaph to Phil May.

4 Likes

Wish he would! Sorry couldnt resist :rofl:

2 Likes

Donald Macleod is joined by John Eliot Gardiner all week on Composer of the Week on R3 to look at Beethoven’s first 2 symphonies. Top notch stuff

I believe you said Lisa was going to ask her webmaster to put this album up for sale on her website. Still no sign of it there or on Bandcamp. Still only the three albums available, and I have already bought the two I am interested in (I’m Changing and Tempered in Fire).

Let’s see if others are released.

Good shout!
Btw if interested Beres Hammond started out in the band Zap Pow. Trojan put out a decent best of CD compilation.

I found the below on Qobuz but the SQ seems a bit muddy albeit on my crappy cab audio

:heart:

1 Like

I’m enjoying The Kicker which I think similarly was not released until much later. I’m looking forward to getting Oblique shortly and also have Patterns, surprisingly I’ve not been paying attention to my own collection and discovering a number of albums including Procrastinator on which he appears

I haven’t heard from her in awhile, she disappears for weeks at a time but then bounces back with an email. Hopefully she she will manage to get the two albums on to bandcamp, she is pretty good at getting things done, but sometimes it takes her a while, it took her a month to find me a copy of Catt’s Brown Bag and then it was sent a track at a time via email, Tempered in Fire she sent immediately via Dropbox.