What are you listening to in 2020 and WHY might anyone be interested?

Dap-Dippin’ with Sharon Jones and The Dap-Kings

5 Likes

His voice has mellowed a lot compared to the early years, dare I say quite soothing really. Half way through , the album feels rather laid back, folksy but at the same time more pragmatic, irreverent but as usual with reflective and profound lyrics. Enjoying it more than The Tempest.
I’m not that good at doing reviews just trust my instincts and I think it is his best album in years. Have a listen yourself and let me know.
Cheers.

2 Likes

61FE5K5l9kL.AA256

On vinyl…

3 Likes

We Can’t Dance (on CD) by Phil Collins, sorry I mean Genesis. From 1991.

To my ears kinda hybrid, with occasional reminders of legacy Genesis but the vast majority is very much in the style of PC. Parts of this almost define as ‘easy listening’ (I’ll get my Val Doonican jumper out).

10 Likes

Bob Dylan - Rough and Rowdy Ways - Tidal 16/44
1st listen to the full album, my vinyl edition has arrived at my place and my neighbour’s collected it from my porch, streaming on the Qb here. On first listen loving it, and I think it’ll grow on me even more. It feels like I’m in a small club with his Bobness intoning directly to me. Lovely slow numbers, some classy 12 bar blues, some deeply personal songs and some angrily social numbers, all couched in beautiful allusive language. For me it’s totally compelling listening, I’m dragged into his world, as I said above it feels like he’s talking to me personally.

7 Likes

Marianne Faithfull - Before The Poison

10 Likes

I agree with you though I particularly enjoyed the Rachmaninoff. In fact, it is one of my favorite sonata for cello.
I will try this one also today. She is fantastic and the instrument she is playing has a full body sound, very compact and a beautiful timbre.

1 Like

71CnL4HGAUL.SS500

On 45rpm double vinyl…

1 Like

Mighty Mo Rodgers - Blues Is My Wailin’ Wall

Superb stuff…

8 Likes

From Flame by Ronnie Laws, my favorite Larry Dunn penned and played song.

Happy Birthday Larry :+1:

2 Likes

Have not played this for a while…on vinyl!

16 Likes

Neil Young - Homegrown - Tidal 16/44
Another new release record waiting at my neighbour’s, so streaming here. Lovely Harvest style Young, mainly beautiful songs with lovely tunes and playing, I’m not sure Florida will ever grow on me.

10 Likes

Abel Ganz, Abel Ganz, bandcamp

Just been to see the finished plastering… not 100% perfect but acceptable; huge sighs of relief all round :slight_smile:

Glaswegian Prog… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

LP - Columbia / CBS Inc. 1980 : )

A host of Earth, Wind & Fire guys came along to help produce this fabulous album, including todays birthday boy Larry Dunn who performed the synthesizer (and programming) plus wrote the arrangements along with Maurice White.
Ramsey Lewis plays a Steinway concert grand piano, and Fender Rhodes :+1:

6 Likes

I agree his voice is soothing but it’s also sinister as well. The album has a swagger about it, it moves slowly but gracefully. Best album for years.

It also sounds like I feel.

1 Like

Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man aka Paul Webb - Out of Season

13 Likes

David, I would love see Tord and hopefully he makes a stop in Seattle someday. I do have a copy of each of the eight albums (CD’s) that I played on Qobuz yesterday since they have seven of them available in HiRes.

I noticed that the ‘Human and Places’ album is availble on Qobuz and placed it in the queue for later today. I’ll be on the lookout for a copy of ‘Contemporary Tradition.’ Thanks for the heads up.

Strolling home with Miles Davis - Ascenseur pour L’échafaud . Wonderful!

11 Likes

Michel Petruccini - Music - 1989 Blue Note / Holland CD / CDP 7 92563 2

4 Likes

Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher

Just arrived, first listen

2 Likes