What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

According to today’s gruniad…
‘ Her staggering 2019 release juxtaposed classical music with industrial, metal and noise to create “survivor anthems” of vengeance and rage, born from abuse she endured.’

Perfect for a relaxing afternoon of thunderstorms and rain.

3 Likes

I think I was at the gig too? Late 80s?

Désinances, a new album from Matthew Bourne, available on Bandcamp. This is what the artist says about it:

‘Hello! For this Bandcamp Friday I’d like to take you on a small detour from my Leaf releases, to a new solo piano album entitled Désinances. Dedicated to Franck Vigroux, Désinances is a collection of eight shadowy, elliptical solo piano pieces - made especially for Sähkö Recordings.’

It’s rather good.

Yep around that time, one of the benifits of being a student in london, seemed to spend more time either at the odeon or the marque club than in lectures :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Donovan - A Gift from a Flower to a Garden.

9 Likes

Gordan Giltrap - Visionary

£1 charity shop find. To the best of my memory I have only ever seen him live and solo. The record looks perfect, the sleeve falling apart.
I love it, it’s not going to be an every day play, but neither is it going back to the shop.
Think John Williams - Changes, Sky or Mike Oldfield.

9 Likes

The Beatles - Let It Be… Naked.

18 Likes

17 Likes

Charlie Haden The Private Collection 1 + 2 / naim promo / Austria CD x 2 / naimcd005 / naimcd006

Another Birthday celebration of CH, reminding me that I must explore his other releases.

7 Likes

Moby Grape.

5 Likes

Eric Clapton - The Dallas Cowboy, originally an FM broadcast from '76 released on disc with superb sq.

5 Likes

The Incredible String Band - The 5000 Spirits or the Layers of the Onion.

6 Likes

Nice one, thanks. I’m keen to improve my reggae education. :+1:

1 Like

15 Likes

Steely Dan Can’t Buy A Thrill / 2010 Geffen / Japan SHM CD / UICY20122

19 Likes

@catswhiskers GG is one of our finest guitarists. Still recording and up to the pandemic performing live. Seen him live loads of times solo, with an orchestra with guest Rick Wakeman and a great rock band when he toured the Ravens and Lullabys album, always top class. Most recent February 2020. Check his website for info and see his extensive back catalogue.
BobF

3 Likes

On CD:
Dave Alvin - From an old Guitar

8 Likes

Double CD from BBC Radio 2 - The Piano Room

A few clunkers but much to like. Standout track is Macca doing Lady Madonna

1 Like

This always sounded a bit rough, even with NDX2/555DRPS/252DR - a rather ‘hot’ and thin live recording. What’s interesting is that with the ND555/552DR it simply sounds live and puts you right there at The Troubadour. Yes, the edges are still present but they are assimilated into a much more rounded ‘real’ sound. Like you are at the gig close to the stage and are hearing a mix of natural and (over) amplified voice.

It’s great!

G

12 Likes

Working Men’s Club - Working Men’s Club

2 Likes