What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Now playing…

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - Georgia Blue

Streaming on Qobuz (96/24)… kicking off this morning with this new release, October 14th, from Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit. …and Jason and the band and various guests on the album are sounding sublime! A nice review on-line at 'The Glide Magazine". Proceeds being distributed to three charities supporting voters rights and fair housing from Georgia Blue. Opening track is sounding mighty fine and looking forward to the rest of the album.

12 Likes

That Billie Holiday doc is essential viewing, although Beeb 4 are showing it again it’s still up on the iplayer.
The story of the journalist who started taping all the interviews which remained unheard until this doc is quite a story too!

:heart:

2 Likes

Played this one earlier today very good.

1 Like

5 Likes

Neil Young - Prairie Wind.

15 Likes

Agree on all points!

1 Like

res-751734df-ab18-4661-8900-efc92ae422bf-550c5501-3f32-41b7-a60d-650002e3f935
A bunch of trax off the up and coming Keb Mo set due out late January next year

12 Likes

I was 14 when this was released and I was just getting into the wonderful world of Prog’, with which I’ve had a lifelong love of. I’d never heard of this band until a few weeks ago when I was introduced to this album by someone who’s musical knowledge is stratospheric. It’s probably my find of the year… rock with a good helping of violin and viola. And the cover? A highly magnified bedbug!

7 Likes

91zVyRWVJgL.SS500

Due out Nov 26th.

11 Likes

Porcupine Tree | Signify | 1996
I do hope Tony isn’t paying attention :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil: This is one of their better albums, I had to do a double take when I see it’s now twenty five years old. Playing CD one of two.

11 Likes

Hey, after you posted that Pat Metheney album on the jokes thread nothing surprises me!:joy::rofl:

2 Likes

Back in the days when I had Nakamichi BX300E, I recorded a number of my vinyl for in car use.

These 2 were on the same cassette and in my mind always go together in any listening session.

Start with the nominal “Side 1”
Bought for the cover but it was the music which has stayed with me for decades.

Q5 is an American hard rock/heavy metal band from Seattle, Washington, United States, who formed in 1983.[1] Their first studio album, titled Steel the Light , came out in 1984. Picking up some critical praise, the outfit toured with the likes of Lita Ford and Twisted Sister. However, the group faced internal divisions that ultimately ended the project before the 1980s came to a close. In 2014, Q5 re-formed to perform at the Sweden Rock Festival, and the band members involved found that the one-off event was not enough, deciding to continue on with the revamped version of the group.

Q5 Steel The Light

4 Likes

Side 2

Think this was a Kerrang recommendation, but I can’t really remember.

Zeno Roth (30 June 1956 – 5 February 2018) was a German guitarist and songwriter, playing in a neoclassical/blues style. He was the younger brother of guitarist Uli Jon Roth.

By 1980, Zeno Roth and Ule Ritgen were again working together, now playing in a more melodic style. They were joined by Michael Flexig on vocals, and the band was named Zeno.

Their first (self-titled) album was released in 1986.[1] The band supported the album with shows, including a date opening for Queen in Newcastle, England on 9 July 1986, on what was the band’s last-ever tour with Freddie Mercury.[2]

Zeno - Zeno

2 Likes

From the 71-74 vinyl box set, the first album. Sounds lovely!

7 Likes

By accident or deliberate this album has the supernatural type tracks, heavy metal, some middle of the road, and perhaps a hint of Abraxas. Ideal for skipping thru on streaming………ideal streamer….not a buy for me.
YMMV

8 Likes

Excellent. A year later did you buy this album?

5 Likes

Ryan Adams. Latest albums, back to back. Lots of Neil Young and lots of familiar chord changes/sequences. However, very impressive/enjoyable.

images

8 Likes

Just gave it my first listen rather good

1 Like

@Ripley and @AndyP
String driven thing. Very underrated band and nice to see them get a couple of mentions on this thread

1 Like

Bob Dylan - At Budokan.

I disliked this album when it came out. It was too different from the versions I was familiar with, and the versions herein jarred for me. Over the decades it has grown on me, to the point where I like it a lot, and some of the versions I once disliked are now my favourite versions.

14 Likes