What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

Bob Dylan - 1975 The Basement Tapes

Playing the CD that I bought yesterday with a click and just arrived now, it is very cold.

Because I like to see and touch my music.

14 Likes

Larry Carlton Collection Volume 2 / 2007 GRP / Japan Promo CD / MVCJ24013

2 Likes

Average White Band Let’s Go Round Again - Greatest Hits

12 Likes

This 3.8.0 is really perfect. I’m not risking another update ever again! John Martyn is indeed On The Cobbles.

G

7 Likes

Yes I have both, think I have most, if not all, releases by the three bands. I have other favourite tracks, in terms of Son Volt it would be from the first album, prefer Jay’s more laid back stuff, when he plays thrashy it’s great if your’e in the mood. In terms of the tracks you mention surprisingly I would favour Circadian Rhythm, normally I would go with Jeff/Wilco.
I thought SV got off to a great start with the stronger first album but Wilco has matured to produce some classic songwriting and music. I do like the new SV album but overall if I had to choose it would be Wilco.

1 Like

Focus Moving Waves / 2001 Red Bullet / Netherlands CD / RB66188

17 Likes

Is the Neil Young album any good, I do like his stuff but he can be a little inconsistent. The new album isn’t available on Qobuz in Aus but I can by purchase it from HD Tracks.

1 Like

Haven’t thought about this lot for many years, so thanks for the reminder. Great Dutch prog rock band. Hocus Pocus by Focus!!

2 Likes

folder

11 Likes

Sorry for late reply Pete. Only played once but not over impressed. Better to dig out his early albums.

1 Like

folder

1 Like

84_thepolice_L250107

Heads up for Beeb 2 this evening … … … 4 hours of Police / Sting stuff, the first hour being their TOTP appearances, followed, by 2 hours of Mr. Sting, and ending with footage / chit chat about their 1980 tour of Japan, Hong Kong, India, Egypt and Greece.

Personally, I’ll be giving the middle two hours a miss, but thought it worth a shout on here.

5 Likes

Balimaya Project. Good to see this is gaining popularity in the community. If you’ve not heard it yet give it a try.

8 Likes

Thanks for heads up Dave and for those who have got Sky Arts there’s new documentary about Leadbelly at 11.00. UK

1 Like

5 Likes

whochuck

Just going through some old Blues HDD’s and found the Albert King portion of this show. Cooking on gas I believe the phrase or if you like an incendiary show.

8 Likes

Good shout, I’ll be watching that, deffo. :+1:

Edit: Way back in the mists of time, I still remember, as a wee boy, seeing, on black and white telly, a documentary about Leadbelly from the famed John Grierson, the impression it left on me, and how it helped form my future musical tastes.

1 Like

On vinyl:-

The Doobie Brothers - The Captain and Me

12 Likes

As with many I was introduced to Leadbelly via Bob Dylan. Which prompts me to play this. I have it on cd but now streaming.
Folkways. A tribute to Woody Guthrie and Leadbelly.

7 Likes

Christian McBride & Inside Straight Live At The Village Vanguard / 2021 Mack Avenue / US CD / MAC1192

Christian McBride Bass
Warren Wolf Vibraphone
Steve Wilson Saxophone
Peter Martin Piano
Carl Allen Drums

Second play of this excellent Live recording.

10 Likes