What are you listening to in 2021 and why might anyone be interested

On CD…

Pink_Floyd-Animals-Frontal

20 Likes

I agree. His Live at Earls Court is a fantastic live performance (from 2004 I think). In terrific voice, great crowd. The liner notes made a point of saying none of it had been overdubbed.

I haven’t listened to it for ages (the CD was one of many that got smashed in the 2011 earthquake).

I convince myself it’s ok to listen to though because it predates his turning into a complete pillock. (Well, maybe it doesn’t. But that’s what I tell myself.) Like still listening to the brilliant early Ryan Adams albums.

Glad you like it

1 Like

You need to be somewhere between 90 & 180

Jim Tomlinson, the lyric featuring Stacey Kent. Beautiful husband and wife team work. :relaxed:

5 Likes

Yes you would. Well done.

But of course you could have a positive or negative angle depending on your direction

Not sure if you prefer vinyl or digital, but the richness of the individual voices and instruments will improve as you move up the source pre power ladder and so will enjoyment. Source first is a starting point. I’ve neglected the vinyl phonostage for a few years so I understand where you are coming from. The Rega Aura is certainly the upgrade I need (on demo).

Phil

1 Like

Google is fab isn’t it? The problem with it is though that if you use it too much it can end up actually making you obtuse.

LP - MFSL reissue : )

Recorded at Columbia Studio A, New York City 1965

<>

Happy Birthday Bob! :birthday: :balloon: :balloon:

born Robert Allen Zimmerman on May 24, 1941, in Duluth, Minnesota :us:

80 years old Today :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :+1:

28 Likes

As discussed, dependant upon your angle, pay attention

I’ve taken a risk or two on some real corkers over time Kev, I reckon I’ll be safe with your track record (no pressure or indeed pun intended).

It does indeed.

Bob Dylan - World Gone Wrong

From the Complete Album Collection Volume 1

Happy 80th Bob

14 Likes

R3 Composer of the week - Mary Lou Williams. Embarrassed to say that I have not heard of this very talented jazz pianist and composer before. Some brilliant music being played

3 Likes

Loreena McKennitt, the book of secrets. It’s an ethereal experience. :relieved:

10 Likes

Thanks to @Bobthebuilder for the inspiration.
Intense Scandi avant garde Jazz with a purpose, “free” but still powerfully musical.

Angles - Every Woman Is A Tree

The review says it all…

Mark Corrotto All About Jazz .com;

Good can triumph over evil. It’s just that evil is just so well organized by the political parties, oil corporations, and media conglomerates that the voice of dissent is often overshadowed. Like Woody Guthrie or Charles Mingus utilizing music to protest the sins of their time, today, bubbling in between the cracks of popular culture is the requisite dissent to war, racism, nazism, and imperialistic hate. Enter the Scandinavian sextet Angles with a true gem of a live recording.

All six tracks were written by saxophonist Martin Küchen, who also penned the liner notes which explain the wordless compositions. Küchen, a member of Exploding Customer with Kjell Nordeson, plays with a such a searing power, there is no need for lyrics to explain his protest music. This post-bop approach is born from the spirit of Mingus. The players, trumpeter Magnus Broo and drummer Kjell Nordeson (AALY Trio), are certainly familiar to listeners and fans of Chicagoan Ken Vandermark’s projects and both can be heard on the Atomic/School Days session Distil (Okka).

The disc opens with the processional “Peace Is Not For Us” with Nordeson rolling thunder beneath the marching lines of Berthling’s bass. Run! The troops are coming! is the ominous feel as Mats Äleklint’s trombone covers the battleground. “My World of Mines” marches also with a funky groove, matched by some tight horn arrangements. When the piece breaks into solos, it’s Mattias Ståhl’s vibraphone that tears through a powerful statement, enough so, to quiet his playing partners. The Eastern feel of “The Indispensable Warlords” is a great vehicle for Küchen’s muscular saxophone to be heard. Part wail and part siren, he rivets your ears to his call. The title track doubles the intensity, not only with a relentless African groove, but with more scorching solos.

Track Listing

Peace Is Not For Us; Don’t Ruin Me; My World of Mines; Every Woman is a Tree; The Indispensable Warlords; Let’s Talk About the Weather (And Not About the War).

Personnel

Martin Küchen: alto saxophone; Magnus Broo: trumpet; Mats Äleklint: trombone; Mattias Ståhl: vibraphone; Johan Berthling: double bass; Kjell Nordeson: drums.
:heart:

2 Likes

Glad I could help.
:poop:

Matt Berninger - Serpentine Prison, on vinyl… :sunglasses: :notes: :grin:

15 Likes

Mary Black, by the time it gets dark. Great album to finish the night with. :relaxed:

11 Likes