What are you listening to in 2022 and why might anyone be interested

1st solo album from ex member of defunct Go Between’s band - tragically he passed away

2 Likes

Back in the early 00s, I got into buying (mostly classical) records from long-standing mail order vendors who were taking advantage of the wider reach of the WWW. I wondered the same thing - why is the record shipped separately from the sleeve? I assumed it was somehow more convenient for them to store them that way, maybe easier to ensure that record and sleeve weren’t mismatched. I didn’t give it much thought.

It only took a couple of eBay purchases for me to figure out why: if they’re not separated that way, there’s a high likelihood that, as it gets flung around on its way across the country (or the world), either the record will “knife” through the sleeve, or the corner of the sleeve will get bent, or both.

I learned the hard way that even vendors with thousands of sales and 100% ratings can’t be relied on to take appropriate care with packaging, so, unless they have a note on the listing to that effect, I follow up every record purchase with a standard polite email requesting that they do this, and that they use a proper mailer, and offering to pay extra if they don’t.

In 20+ years, only one vendor has refused to do this. It was a late-ish pressing of Nick Drake’s Five Leaves Left, still fairly expensive. He reassured me that his particular packaging method made this unnecessary. The record arrived, all the way from Australia, with a 1" split through the spine, just where the album title was. I told him I was going to send it back for a full refund, but I settled for a 50% credit on the price, which I still partially regret, even though I effectively got a good sounding “filler” copy for a good price. In hindsight, I should have told him ahead of time that I would be sending it back if there was any visible transit damage (unless it was driven over or crushed, of course). Live and learn.

3 Likes

Earth Wind & Fire That’s The Way Of the World
2012 Sony / Blu-spec CD / Paper Sleeve Edition / SICP20354

11 Likes

Sony 2017 RE

1 Like

Pink Floyd

Animals 2018 Remix

First time listening to the new remix and it’s absolutely brilliant, will definitely download it from Qobuz in the next couple of days.

Edward

16 Likes

Just arrived here in Milano…

18 Likes

Moloko Catalogue / 2006 Echo / UK Promo CD / ECHCDPR70

1 Like

Relaxing start to Saturday morning.

1 Like

Dipping my toes into this one. So far the bootlegs have been hit and miss, this one could be on the more interesting side of things…, let’s see…

6 Likes

More italian stuff.
The Rocking Chairs - Freedom Rain - 1989
With a nice cover of Wild Horses and the appareance of Elliott Murphy

Pink Floyd

The Dark Side Of The Moon

Continuing with the Floyd with what is for me the greatest album of all time.

Edward

19 Likes

Starting the day with this.
Yes I know it’s gone 10:30, but it’s Saturday and it’s been a long week…

2 Likes

Two slabs 1988

16 Likes

David Gilmour

Rattle That Lock

Edward

16 Likes

Tom Misch - Geography

Thanks to @GeoffC this one arrived, playing it now - good so far !

3 Likes

192 kHz/24 bit on Blu-ray:

15 Likes

Thanks Nigel, hadn’t heard of this guy, checking him out listening to Raasay Sessions, a favourite part of Scotland, it’s excellent. Will check out Vagabond and others, hints of Nick Drake and early Ryan Adams Whiskeytown.

1 Like

Analogue Productions SACD. This might be the best-recorded album I have ever heard.

12 Likes

Pink Floyd - Animals

17 Likes

I just saw that on Qobuz, what do you think? It covers a period of Miles Ive never paid much attention to