What are you listening to in 2022 and why might anyone be interested

John Williams - The Guitarist

This 1998 album is a treasure. The piece entitled Koyunbaba is truly astonishing. I’d love to have a go at playing it. I must see if the manuscript is available.

8 Likes

Lee Morgan The Sidewinder / 1999 Blue Note / France CD / RVG Edition / 724349533226

18 Likes

Emerson Lake & Palmer Brain Salad Surgery
/ 2008 Sanctuary / UK CD x 2 + SACD Hybrid / Deluxe Edition / 5308195

11 Likes

Continuing my toe-dipping project into the world of Classical music, I recently pulled up a few versions of “Enigma Variations” on to my Qobuz list.

I started with Sholti and the Chicago Symphony Orch. I have already saved their Beethoven Symphonies cycle which are, to me, the best versions I’ve heard in both recording quality and musical interpretation. One or two other pieces from this team are so favourites.

So I was disappointedto hear that version of “Nimrod”. It sounded way to brusque and lost all the elegiac quality that I had grown used to in the Halle orchestra version.

I went my usual route of finding some trustworthy-seeming opinions on the internet and found that the 1970 version by Adrian Boult and the LSO was often cited as the best version.

There are several “digitally remastered” versions done since then and I tried a few. In my opinion, the 1991 EMI Classics version is the best. Clean and comparitively distortion-free without losing any of the original analogue “natural sound” quality where thers seemed kind of “thin” and forced.

I’d be interested in other’s opinions.

Toodle-pip.

4 Likes

Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris. All the roadrunning.
Lovely Sunday morning album from Emmylou and our Mark.

14 Likes

The greatest instrumental/sampling/turntablist album EVER?!?

Donuts/J Dilla

2 Likes

Had to be this on what would have been the 80th birthday of the finest guitarist the world has ever seen. We can only dream about what more there was to come from him if he had lived longer

23 Likes

Dr. Feelgood - Malpractice, on first UK pressing. Playing for obvious reasons, and appropriately nice and loud as the house is empty. What an utterly brilliant album this is.

14 Likes

Daft Punk Discovery / 2001 Virgin / EU CD / 8100882

11 Likes

More Dilla, this time with Madlib.

Half Dilla raps, half Madlib breaks & vice versa.

Champion Sound/Jaylib

2 Likes

29 Likes

Moptop Sunday.
Meet The Beatles!

The years drop away…

Japanese Odeon, mono, red vinyl :heart:

17 Likes

I like your Beatles collection more than my own!!

2 Likes

Thanks! Having fallen for the Japanese pressings (Odeon and Apple) it’s taken awhile to find NM copies, but I recently found someone who had a bunch for sale. Lucky!

A red vinyl Odeon Rubber Soul is on the way. Can’t wait!

Wish I could read Japanese though :laughing:

4 Likes

I’ve been listening to Dilla/Doom & Madlib this morning, whilst ripping my Fall “library of CDs”, so this is a perfect next listen which captures something of both styles of music. Remarkably predating them all by a few decades.

Monster Movie/Can

As noted upstream in this thread, the SQ of these Can SACD is superb.

7 Likes

One of my all-time favourite bands, Can.
They are timeless

2 Likes

Oscar Peterson + Stéphane Grappelli Jazz In Paris Vol. 1 / 2000 Gitanes / France CD / 0130282

Oscar Peterson Piano
Stéphane Grappelli Violin
Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen Bass
Kenny Clarke Drums

8 Likes

Prefer Battles sans guest vocalists, so this is a peach…

2 Likes

The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers, on a rather tired mid 70s pressing. Why is it that you always have one persistent click on the quietest track on the album! Still a decent-ish (for the RS) sounding pressing though.

17 Likes

Sometimes you just really want to hear what your ‘investment’ can do.

G

9 Likes