What are you listening to in 2022 and why might anyone be interested

@steviebee thank you so much for the correction. I was fooled by information in qobuz. It reads, “When it was released on the 12th of March 1967…” thinking it refers to this album and perhaps it is a re-issue of the original. Now I realise this tribute album was released on 24th Sept, 2021. Thank you again! :slight_smile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I'll_Be_Your_Mirror:A_Tribute_to_The_Velvet_Underground%26_Nico

1 Like

Splendid, you’ll feel like you’re in the Matrix with them!
Enjoy!

1 Like

Some serious musicians on that album including good old Phil C on drums - with his mouth firmly shut! Gotta get the vinyl out sometime.:sunglasses:
BTW, originally released in 75 not 76 at least in the UK.

CD ripped to WAV

19 Likes

Nicola Conte Other Directions / 2010 Schema / Italy CD x 2 / SCCD386

Second play of a new purchase which includes an excellent bonus disc with extra tracks.

4 Likes

Second spin for this superb DB album, the latest release from Brubeck Editions (the estate’s label). A fantastic performance in great sound and very bicely pressed. I recommend this one to Brubeck fans when it comes out in April.

Here’s the press blurb for anyone interested:

An extremely rare, red-hot performance by Dave Brubeck and his famous rhythm section

Dave Brubeck Trio – Live from Vienna 1967 is an extremely rare, red-hot performance by Dave and his famous rhythm section – Joe Morello on drums and Gene Wright on bass. Alto saxophonist Paul Desmond missed the plane to Vienna and the remaining trio took the stage with a mission; show the packed hall that the three of them could play up a storm despite being one man down.

Each musician in the trio was at the top of their game and each player was forced to stretch out their solos, which landed them in new creative territories. The communication of musical concepts between Dave and Joe is extraordinary as they improvise boldly and respond to each other’s fresh ideas. Gene Wright solos far more than usual on this album and his playing is a fitting tribute to the longest living member of the Quarter (Gene died on 30th December 2020). Dave Brubeck plays masterfully, revealing a rhythmic complexity to his approach on the piano that is remarkable and reminds the listener of his extremely inventive approach to jazz improvisations. Harmonically, he also explores polytonality in the most unexpected places; for example, on the ballad ‘La Paloma Azul’. On ‘Swanee River’, Dave is playfully polyrhythmic. Dave’s light touch on ‘One Moment Worth Years’ is charming and gives a nod to the great more traditional pianists who went before him.

On this great-sounding recording, you can hear the full breadth of Dave’s playing which pushes jazz forward while honouring his past influences. Opening with ‘St. Louis Blues’, the set includes the rhythmically challenging, high-spirited ‘Someday My Prince Will Come’, and ends with ‘Take the A-Train’ as an encore.

This is a thrilling set! The sound is wonderful and listening to this album will make you feel as if you were sitting in the audience that historic night.

TRACKLISTING
St. Louis Blues
One Moment Worth Years
Swanee River
La Paloma Azul
Someday My Prince Will Come
Take the A-Train

10 Likes

81d18uI6wXL.SS500
Thievery Corporation - It Takes A Thief, a best of.

5 Likes

The Flying Burrito Bros. Burrito deluxe .
Alphabetically chosen on the iPod.
Forgot I had this. Very good and so they should be with that line up.

10 Likes

This is a rather special album from Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, all analog and it sounds just fantastic

6 Likes

Citizen Steely Dan

Just playing the second disc to hear the live (mono) version of Bodhisattva with the outrageous intro.

19 Likes

David Bowie - Let’s Dance

21 Likes

On CD:

6 Likes

More of Dave and his brilliant Quartet on this 2020 archive scorcher:

11 Likes

Both on original vinyl. On a bit of a nostalgia trip to my teenage years with these. Ritchie was passed his best but still some good guitar work to be had. Saw Rainbow in Bingley Hall, Stafford in 1980 but the mix was just a wall of very loud noise.

9 Likes

On vinyl… :sunglasses: :notes: :+1:t3:

7 Likes

Funny you should mention Steve Hackett today! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :+1:

<<>>

Happy Birthday Steve Hackett! :balloon: :birthday: :balloon:

born on 12 February 1950 in Pimlico, central London :uk:

23 Likes

1389a1_e9814f9ebbad4c4cb752f0e47faa2ec7~mv21

First things first this album is from a French record label (Wewantssounds) who are new to me, so was slightly apprehensive regarding pressing, mastering etc. The good news is that there are no problems at all with the vinyl my pressing its flat and free from any pops & crackles.

Regarding mastering the hype sticker says ‘’ REMASTERED FROM THE ORIGINAL TAPES BY BERNIE GRUNDMAN however, the liner notes state that Sakamoto took a more hybrid approach! he opted to record this album digitally on the studios new 3M digital multi track, before mixing it on an analogue console.

Hidari Ude No Yume (Left Handed Dream) was released in 1981 and is a fantastic modern electronic mix of classical, pop, rock, with a wealth of global influences, think David Bowie, Japan, Taking Heads, Can et al.

2 Likes

81Un-Btj89L.SS500
Paul McCartney - Run Devil Run.

10 Likes

On vinyl… :sunglasses: :notes: :grinning:

25 Likes

Steely Dan - Alive in America

Having a bit of a Dan fest.

19 Likes