What are you listening to in 2022 and why might anyone be interested

The Dave Brubeck Quartet Time OutTakes / 2020 Brubeck Editions / US CD / BECD20200901

9 Likes

Thanks the the info, will check it out. Also, there is a great BBC studio session from Colosseum II from 1977 which is I think on YouTube. It contains alternative versions of tracks from ‘Electric Savage’ and a great early version of ‘ The Inquisition’ from the then unreleased ‘Wardance’ album. Some themes from this version reappeared in the title track of the Gary Moore solo album ‘Back on The Streets’ (1978).

1 Like

Just listening to Dermot on R2? Billy Joel ‘Innocent Man’.
WOW. The phrasing, the gaps between words, the snap of the ‘finger click’ effect, the subtlety of the piano and bass mostly in the background.
This Naim 552DR/300DR with the Aries/Qutest feed is simply outstanding.
It has been noted on here before, but every level of improvement in kit just reveals so much more of the music.
Loving my start to Saturday.

3 Likes

Septet - John Carroll Kirkby

His records are so good, each release, of which there are three to date, I think, taking what he does in a slightly different direction. Mostly instrumental, strong hints of uneasy lounge vibes on this.

Only discovered him as he’s on a mostly hip hop label I like (Stones Throw) but his name didn’t sound very on genre.
Like when Brainfeeder and Warp throw a curveball. Either to annoy the obsessives or to stretch the label’s reach a bit.

Jarrod Lawson Be The Change / 2020 Dome / US CD / DOMECD349

After a high quality debut release in 2014, JL took his time recording his second disc, the result being equally as good. An excellent soul / jazz CD.

3 Likes

My copy has a low pitch click towards the end of side two, but it’s only concerning in the quiet break before the very last track, and then hidden by the music, however the overall sonic quality is reasonable for a reissue .

1 Like

Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac.

23 Likes

Great collaboration: Ghostface Killah/Badbadnotgood’s Sour Soul.

In lieu of Portishead being available, BBNG do a mighty fine job of creating sounds for GFK to do his stentorian thing. With Danny Brown providing high pitched relief.

3 Likes

CD ripped to WAV

Great recording quality. Oh, lovely voice too.

16 Likes

Yesterdays - Yes compilation of early stuff.
Especially for their version of Paul Simon’s America.

20 Likes

After @GeoffC 's post last night I decided to follow suit

Santana - Moonflower.

25 Likes

Matrix, sadly, I don’t have.
But… I’ll, er, stream it on Amazon Prime.

Thanks for the tip!

Edit / Stuff streaming, just bought the CD set on Ebay :grin:

Kings of Convenience Riot On An Empty Street / 2004 Source / EU CD / 072435716652

7 Likes

Alt-J The Dream, 5 years since the last album, looking forward to the concert later in the year.

6 Likes

CD ripped to WAV

23 Likes

This is supposed to have been a major influence in the whole club scene… whatever about that, it’s hypnotic electronica and I especially enjoy when he cuts loose on the many guitar solos… Manuel Gottsching - E2-E4 (1984) (this a 2016 reissue)

1 Like

Genesis - ‘And Then There Were Three’ (1978). Listen to this quite a bit these days. This was the first album after the departure of Steve Hackett. Also, it follows ‘Seconds Out’, the double live album which kind of ended the first two chapters of the band’s history. (Not in my view only the second chapter. I have commented on this in my entry about ‘Seconds Out’). Things were beginning to change here but still quite prog which is good! ‘Undertow’, ‘Snowbound’, ‘Burning Rope’, ‘Deep In the Motherlode’, ‘Many Too Many’, ‘Say It’s Alright Joe’ and ‘The Lady Lies’ are standouts for me.

18 Likes

Ray Brown Trio with Ulf Wakenius Summertime / 1998 Telarc Jazz / US CD / CD83430

Ray Brown Bass, Producer
Ulf Wakenius Guitar
Geoff Keezer Piano
Gregory Hutchinson Drums

2 Likes

Eric Clapton - Pilgrim, on sacd.

9 Likes

CD ripped to WAV

8 Likes