What are you listening to in 2022 and why might anyone be interested

David Bedford - ‘The Odyssey’ (1976). This was another of the classy prog/classical compositions from David Bedford. This album is a bit more rock with electrical rather than orchestral soundscapes as compared with say ‘Stars End’ (1974). The songs are joined by a never ending scale which recurs in the tracks called ‘Penelope’s Shroud’. For me the standout track is ‘The Sirens’ that ends side 1, very restful and with strong classical influences. This was released about the same time as Mike Oldfield - ‘Boxed’. Mike Oldfield was a key collaborator on ‘The Odyssey’ and the track ‘The Phaeacian Games’ is also included in the ‘Collaborations’ album in ‘Boxed’.

5 Likes

Thanks. I agree, I have both ‘Keys to Ascension’ sets and the full ‘Progeny’ box. The 1990s recordings do shed more light on things.

2 Likes

Oliver Nelson - The Blues and the Abstract Truth

Thanks to Dan Steel for the prompt.

19 Likes

Ideal Sunday morning listening - intricate but swings and flows. Sco/Lovano/Haden & DeJohnette Time on My Hands. Late 80s Blue Note vinyl. Not sure he’s ever bettered it.

4 Likes

CD ripped to WAV.

6 Likes

One of the best Jazz albums ever recorded. The recent Impulse/Acoustic Sounds reissue is glorious.

1 Like

Bad Company Live. CD 2002. No Mick Ralphs on this but Dave “Bucket” Colwell does a cracking job.

s-l400 (1)

11 Likes

Clearly that’s a matter of opinion, but anything with Bill Evans and, particularly, Eric Dolphy has to be considered when compiling a best jazz list.

1 Like

As the house is empty can indulge a little Puccini.

6 Likes

Eric Dolpy Quintet - At the Five Spot (Complete Edition)

@Isca_Dumnoniorum’s post inspired me to dig out one of Eric Dolphy’s albums. This Complete Edition compiles the cuts recorded at the Five Spot which were originally spread over three or four albums.

6 Likes

5 Likes

The Pasadenas - To Whom It May Concern. A recent record fair bargain crate purchase, and a little gem of a record. Had this when a student, and so great to hear it again. Not a filler track in sight and a great sounding record too.

3 Likes

Squeeze has such a bad reputation that I don’t think I’ve ever heard a single note from it - probably because it’s not really VU, I guess I’ve never tried seeking it out…

2 Likes

A bit of slinky JGW to liven up a blustery day. UK first press vinyl.

12 Likes

Well it’s what you might expect. Doug Yule does his best and if it were a Doug Yule solo album it might have received better press.

It’s available on Qobuz for a few pounds which was enough to tempt the completist in me.

OST of a favourite film of mine to kick off the afternoon

11 Likes

A classic.

1 Like

More JGW. UK fiirst press vinyl:

13 Likes

Great collection of toons! Love the words of Andrew Oldham on the sleeve……
“But yesterday don’t matter till it’s gone”

9 Likes

Bruce Cockburn. Breakfast in New Orleans, Dinner in Timbuktu.

Bruce Cockburn, a Canadian musician, is new to me, I discovered through Radio Paradise. Really enjoying this album and judging by qobuz there’s plenty of his music to go at. Blues, largely acoustic guitar and vocals. It sounded like Margo Timmins from Cowboy Junkies sang on one the tracks. I’m definitely going to dive into some more!

3 Likes